Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Video Woes! What's next step?

• Please log in to reply

xigxag

xigxag

• Pip
  • 9 posts
Ok, I'm having major problems fixing this old Compaq Presario.

Specs:

Compaq Presario 7360
mobo: pwa-pwa camaro 9952(no spec sheets available in my searching)
500 mHz AMD K6
More Specs

Symptoms:

Powers on, power led, cpu fan, but no video.
No beep codes, as there is no system speaker.

Troublshooting steps completed:

Verified working monitor
Tried working PCI Video Card instead of onboard video.
Verified RAM OK, using one stick only, tried both slots.
All components unplugged (all pci and IDE).
Power supply is ok.
Reseated CPU.
Reset BIOS settings (removed CMOS battery) also moved jumper to clear CMOS position but couldn't power on like that.

The worst part is that the first time I booted the box, actually when I plugged cord into power supply, it autostarted (why does this happen) and video worked using onboard connector. Windows loading got stuck and I powered down and back up to troubleshoot that, at which point I couldn't get video. I'm not sure what the original symptoms were, I am going to contact the lady today. Before she had just asked me to see why the hard drive wasn't working(?). So until I ask her what was going on before, I'm not sure if I caused this video problem or if that was what she wanted me to look at.

Since there isn't any available documentation for the board, I don't know where to go from here. Please let me know if you have any suggestions at all.

Thanks

Advertisements

xigxag

xigxag

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
up closer inspection of the board, looks like all the jumper options are marked on the board.

in addition to the cleam CMOS jumper there is:

CPU

CPU/HOST RATIO (?)
1.5/3.5

VCC2 (for memory looks like)

Also, the plastic on the Socket 7 is slightly loose, is this normal?

Samm

Samm

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,476 posts
Hi there

Right, you need to make sure that the CPU jumper is set to 100.
(check that the memory is PC100 first though, and not PC66)

The CPU/HOST ratio should be set to 5

The VCC2 is for dual voltage cpus (like your one) but most system should have an autodetect feature for this. I suspect (but i'm not totally sure) that the 0 position is for autodetect. So either place the jumper on 0 or leave where it is for now. I suggest trying it on zero but remember the original position in case it doesn't work.

The plastic surround on the cpu socket should not be loose. What you need to check is whether its just the plastic thats loose or the entire thing. If its the entire socket, then you probably have to write the motherboard off completely. If its just the plastic surround then you might be ok. However, this may mean that the heatsink/fan isn't being clamped firmly enough to the cpu if the surround is loose. This in turn will cause the cpu to overheat & possibly burn out.

xigxag

xigxag

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
hi Samm, thanks for the reply.

The RAM is PC-100. I had already changed the CPU setting ,which was originally on 97, to 100.

I also did all the other jumper settings you recommended, same result.

What you need to check is whether its just the plastic thats loose or the entire thing.

This is interesting, but I'm not quite sure I understand the difference. Could you explain that any more? When I have the CPU and heatsink clamped on it is very sturdy. But, like I say when its off the plastic on the socket is slightly loose, and just doesn't seem right.

Please take a look at this same question crossposted here if you can, to see some additional troubleshooting that I have tried.

I talked to the lady, and apparently this is the same issue she wanted me to look at. She said 'it just wouldn't do anything when i turned it on'. So atleast I didn't cause it :tazz: It still seems very odd that the first time it powered on I got video. Like I said, when I powered down using the power switch then back on i had no video.

Thanks so much for your insight and time.

Edited by xigxag, 01 October 2005 - 03:01 AM.

Samm

Samm

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,476 posts
Hi
The cpu has a lever on the side, right? when this level is clamped down (without the cpu installed) is the socket still loose?
If so, flip the board over so you can see the underside of the socket. There will be lots of small solder joints. When you wiggle the cpu socket, do these move at all?