Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Installing a New Hardisk

• Please log in to reply

Phrozenflame

Phrozenflame

• PipPip
  • 21 posts
Hiye, I've got several questions and problems...

First one being Installation,

1.I've succesfully installed the hardrive, Win XP shows new hardisve found and ready to use, but its not coming up on my PC? If I use Partition Magic to create a new Parition will it show up then?

2.I am basically using this hardisk for copying data from one pc to another, so If I do this parition thingy with PartitionMagic..will I be able to use data on another PC?

3.Also..My other PC has Samsung HD, this one Maxtor, and the new one i got is Hitachi..wil lthey create any kinds of conflict?

Thank You.

Advertisements

xigxag

xigxag

• Pip
  • 9 posts
Hi,

Yes the reason you can't see your drive is because you must first partition.

If the other computer you are wanting to share the data with is an older Windows Operating System (95, 98, Me) you will need to partition the disk as a FAT32.

If the other computer is XP or 2000, then you will want to make it an NTFS partition.

So use partition magic to create the NTFS or FAT32 partition oh your new drive. Then you need to format it, which you can also do with partition magic. After that you will be good to go!

The different drive manufacturer's shouldn't cause any problem.

Hope this helps

Phrozenflame

Phrozenflame

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts
cheers thanks