Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Transfering Large File

• Please log in to reply

Orkie

Orkie

• PipPip
  • 32 posts
Hi y'all

I have a file with the size of 3,45 GB. I'm getting a new PC, but I want to transfer the file to the new PC. What's the best way to do this.

These are the things I have:

1. CD Writer
2. Don't have a DVD Writer
3. Router, i use it to connect to the internet on my labtob and PC
4. I can connect the new and old PC directly (someone said this might work?)
5. Windows XP Home with SP 2 on both

Please help me. I'm getting my new PC on the 8th of October :tazz:

Kind Regards,
Michael

Edited by Orkie, 30 September 2005 - 05:33 AM.

Advertisements

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
If you can split the file into 4 then you can use

http://www.yousendit.com/

You would need Broadband for it

Install the drive with the file as a slave in the new PC and copy the file to the new drive

Split the file and save them to CDRW discs, load them to the new drive then erase the CDRW discs after you have checked the files are OK

Orkie

Orkie

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 32 posts

If you can split the file into 4 then you can use

http://www.yousendit.com/

You would need Broadband for it

Install the drive with the file as a slave in the new PC and copy the file to the new drive

Split the file and save them to CDRW discs, load them to the new drive then erase the CDRW discs after you have checked the files are OK

View Post

Okay,

1. How do I split up .iso files / .rar files
2. How do I instal the drive as a slave? Do I have to take my PC apart?
3. Thank you :tazz:
4. Can't I do it throug file sharing (don't know what it is)

Edited by Orkie, 30 September 2005 - 06:37 AM.

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
You will need to open each PC, to remove then install the drive

IDE drives come with jumpers in place set to master. Move the jumper to the Slave position on the new drive. If a jumper did not come with the new drive, take the jumper off M or MA on the first drive (it will still act as Master) and place it on Slave on the second one.

Insert the new drive into a drive bay and screw it in. Do not over-tighten screws into the drive. If you want to put a 3.5" drive into a 5.25" drive bay, get an adapter that holds the drive and fits into the 5.25" bay.

Plug an available four-wire (red-black-black-yellow/orange) power cable into the drive (it only fits one way). If there are no free power cables, get a power cable splitter. Pull out an existing power connection to another drive and insert the splitter. Attach both drives to the splitter.

The connectors on the flat signal cable can be inserted up or down, so be sure to connect the second drive in the same manner as the first. One side of the cable is marked, typically with a red line or pattern of dots. Line that side up with pin 1 on the host adapter and pin 1 on the drives. If the cable isn't long enough, a longer 40-pin IDE ribbon cable can be purchased. The three connectors on the cable are common. Either one can be used for either drive or the host adapter.

Don't think you can split an ISO File

You can see if mywebexpc will install to an XP Home PC

http://www.mywebexpc.com/index.php

This would be the easiest as you just open the desktop of the one with the file, using the new PC, then transfer it

Orkie

Orkie

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 32 posts
I can split .rar files?!

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
If the ISO File still ends up over 1 GB so you cannot use You Send It, and mywebexpc will not install to an XP Home PC, you might as well install the drive as a slave to the new PC and use one method to transfer all files

Orkie

Orkie

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 32 posts
Okay

I'm gonna try that on the 8th!

Thanks!

:tazz: :) :)

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
You can look at these, particularly the bit about opening the case

http://www.ehow.com/...econd-hard.html

http://www.ehow.com/...esignation.html

Hope it goes well

Balbowa

Balbowa

• Pip
  • 5 posts
i'm not an expert, but wouldn't transfering the files over a network be the easiest?

Fenor

Fenor

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,236 posts

i'm not an expert, but wouldn't transfering the files over a network be the easiest?

View Post

That's what I was going to point out. You already said you had a router, so why not just connect both of them to the router, and then send the file that way. You will need to make sure both computers are in the same WORKGROUP to do this though. If both machines are running XP, then to change the workgroup name, right click MY COMPUTER, click on PROPERTIES, then click on the COMPUTER NAME tab. Then click the button labeled CHANGE. Make sure both computers say the same thing in the WORKGROUP folder. I usually use the name WORKGROUP for the WORKGROUP, but if it says MSHOME just leave it, but make sure again that both computers say MSHOME here or both say WORKGROUP here. Then all you need to do is go to the computer the file is on and right click the folder the files is stored in and click SHARING AND SECURITY... For detailed information on how to share files check out this link.

Fenor

Orkie

Orkie

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 32 posts
thanks!