Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

User Drama

• Please log in to reply

asyrseilar

asyrseilar

• Pip
  • 1 posts
Hi, and thanks in advance for helping me out.

I have three users on my laptop, and haven't had a problem switching between them until recently.

The computer's trick is: Two out of the three users come up just fine, but the third person has their background, but no explorer, desktop, etc. I can pull up task manager and run programs from there, but again, no desktop to rely on. I'm guessing maybe it's an error initializing explorer????

I'm not computer-illiterate, but this one is unfamiliar. Thanks for any ideas or suggestions!

Advertisements

Fenor

Fenor

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,236 posts
Does this problem only happen when trying to login one specific user?

Which of the following examples best suits your problem:

EXAMPLE #1: Bob and Dylan are logged in, you go to switch users to Dana and the desktop won't load. This only happens when Dana is the third person trying to log in at the same time.

EXAMPLE #2: The above situation doesn't work no matter who is the third person logging in to the computer. Could be Dylan and Dana logged in, but when you go to log in Bob the desktop still wont show. But if you log in Bob either first or second his desktop shows.

Hope those are clear enough to understand :tazz:

Fenor

Emery Herman

Emery Herman

banned

• Banned
  • PipPip
  • 78 posts
If you've got a windows xp rescue disc, try a windows repair.

Pi rules

Pi rules

• PipPipPip
  • 634 posts
Is the account limited while the others are adminstrators?
The account may have become corrupt. You may just have to create a new account for that person and copy all of their documents into their new account, then delete the old one.