Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

ATi X800 XT not getting enough power?

• Please log in to reply

XoPulseoX

XoPulseoX

• Pip
  • 5 posts
I recently picked up a ATI X800 XT AIW, and noticed in games like HL2 and Battlefield 2, my FPS were strangely low. I have an AMD Athlon XP, with 1gb of ram, and my frames never really break 35 in BF2 with any kind of action going on on-screen. I have everything set on high except lighting, with 2xAA at 1024X768. I have read other posts by people who have my same sytem spec (some with less) and have a solid 50-60 FPS. In trying to figure out my problem, someone asked me what my PSU specs were, andI told him it was a 425 watt psu, +12v 12a MAX. He said that that was "REALLY LOW" for my card, and that it could not be getting enough power, causeing a performance drop-off. Before I go out and grab another PSU, just wanted to get some second opinions.

I have tried alot of graphics tweaks alread (raising the Aperature to 256, messing with all the Catalyst settings). I also have the most current ATi Drivers (5.9). I dont know much about PSU's, and simply figured that as long has my power supply was over 350, I would be ok. Could only having a 12a rail be hurting my performance? Thanks.

Advertisements

austin_o

austin_o

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 2,089 posts
Hi and welcome to Geeks to Go. Since the amps on the +12v rail is less than 18, I would say your power supply is indeed "lean" for an AMD system, particularly if you make heavy demands on video for gaming. The best resource I have found for information on perhaps the most over looked cause of problems (Power Supplies!!) go here
http://www.hardforum...isplay.php?f=93
Start by reviewing the sticky posts at the top.

This helped me figure out that my random reboot problem was caused by a 480W psu that was actually only capable of 290W, and not enough amps for my AMD 64 system (it was the PSU it came with!!). I ended up replacing it with a quality PSU, 550W (from Newegg) and no more reboot troubles.