Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

New to XP, have some questions

• Please log in to reply

jkpj13

jkpj13

• PipPip
  • 51 posts
I have officially left the past. I upgraded my computer from Windows 98 SE to Windows XP Home Edition (SP1). I didn't even know it would run on a 200MHz Pentium Pro. It runs quite nicely (I have 144MB of RAM), but I am a little bit lacking in the hard drive department. It uses over half of my hard drive. I compressed it and I gained a little space, but you can't do much with 2.3GB. I have a question: can I assign my Tandberg TDC-4222 SCSI tape drive to a drive letter and use it like any removable media? If so, how do I do it? Also, can I make my computer any faster? Thanks.
-John

Advertisements

Fenor

Fenor

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,236 posts
Unfortunately there is really no way to make your computer run any faster given that it is below even the minimum requirements needed to run XP, which is quite impressive :tazz: But what you can do are try some of these Tweaking Tips.

As for the tape drive, I see no reaosn why you can't as long as you have it set up correctly on the bus cable so that the computer reads it. If the BIOS reads it then XP will read it. Put it in and see if you can get it to be recognized by the BIOS and we can go from there.

Post back the details and/or problems that arise.

Fenor

Michael

Michael

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 1,869 posts
I don't know much about tape drives sorry, but here is some segestions
First thing I could say is get a second hard drive, they are very cheep and you will never fill $40 worth of hard drive.

If you want to stick with you had drive, I could help you remove a lot of stuff you don't need. Read a guide for getting rid of what you don't need in XP(not nameing or linking to it because it can cause too many problems). Tryed itand then restored with Norton Ghoast many times, because I what to test it to the limet result was an installation 400mb in size + page file. In the process I found out what was 100% safe to delete. I don't what to post here about what to remove because some one might follow it and go overboard with it. But if you (or any one else) whats to PM about it I will segest what to remove, what you do delete is up to you.

jkpj13

jkpj13

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 51 posts
Someone is supposed to be giving me a 30GB hard drive (might be 20).
-John

Edited by jkpj13, 03 October 2005 - 08:39 AM.

EMCguy

EMCguy

• PipPipPip
  • 729 posts
Did you really upgrade to XP? or is it Widows ME?

My first XP came with 128 MBytes, which at the time was their minimum required. It was terrrible. As soon as I started any other application, it would have to start using the disk drive for extra memory. YUK.

I wouldn't run XP with anything less than 512 MB.

My $.02 worth

Best regards,

EMCguy

Edited by EMCguy, 08 October 2005 - 07:02 PM.