Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Problems installing WINXP on SATA

• Please log in to reply

udigold

udigold

• Pip
  • 1 posts
Hi there,

Here's the thing :

I got a new SATA HDD (I had before an IDE HDD) connected to my computer, I want to install XP but it won't let me. Whenever I select the HDD, it says : "This disk does not contain a windows XP copmpatibe partition" and that's it, I cannot continue install XP.
My hardware: WD Caviar SE SATAII 160GB, Jetway board with i865 chipset.
I pressed F6 to use a WD Raid Controller driver, but that didn't help neither.

Can someone help please?
Thanks,
Udi G

Advertisements

Samm

Samm

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,476 posts
Welcome to G2G

First I noticed is that you said you inserted the WD Raid controller disk after pressing F6. Unless this was a typo, then you need to insert the driver disk that came with your motherboard (or you can download it from Jetways website), not one from Western Digital.

Also, double check that the bios is detecting the drive correctly.

If you are using the correct driver & still get this problem, then I suggest you go to Western Digitals website & download Data Life Guard Tools. This will allow you to partition the drive before installing XP.

Also, you need to be using Service Pack 1 or higher in order for XP to recognise drives full size. Prior to SP1, XP couldn't address drives larger than 137GB. If you don't have SP1 on the install CD, then use Data Life Guard to create 2 partitions instead of 1. (E.G 2 partitions of 80GB each)