Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

USB Powersurge

• Please log in to reply

Adrian04

Adrian04

• PipPip
  • 56 posts
Hey all my front USB ports when I try to connect anythign to it it says something about a powersurge? Any ideas?

Advertisements

katkat92

katkat92

• PipPipPip
  • 165 posts
Is there an error listed in the device manager? What's your OS?

Jack123

Jack123

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 944 posts
Topic: USB Power Surge
Date: 30th Sept-2005
Post – Adrian04

Need more info about your PC – Motherboard – Chipset – USB Devices – in order to define problem -

(1) – Go to Link below – Download Free Copy of the Home Edition of [EVEREST] - (to obtain 2 Reports)
http://www.lavalys.c...p?pid=1&lang=en

(1) – Download & Install [EVEREST]
(2) – Run [EVEREST]
(3) – Expand [Motherboard] Folder
(4) – Click on [Motherboard] Folder
(5) – Click on [REPORT] on Main Menu > [Quick Report-Motherboard] > Click on [HTML]
(6) – Save to File as [Adrian-MOBO-1] & attach to POST
(7) – Expand [DEVICES] Folder
(8) – Click on [DEVICES] Folder
(9) – Click on [REPORT] on Main Menu > [QUICK Report – Devices] > Click on [HTML]
(10)– Save to File as [Adrian-Devices-1] & attach to POST

[EVEREST] will analyze your PC and create a Report Files so I can analyze your USB Host Controller Interface –

(2) – Also provide additional PC info:

(1) – Is PC – (Tower – Desktop – Laptop) –
(2) – What is Mfg Brand + Model + what Service Pack Installed
(3) – How many USB Ports on PC
(4) – Were Front Ports working before?
(5) – Does “Power Surge” happen during connection or disconnection? or during operation -
(6) – How many USB Devices do you have – (List them) – including HUBS
(7) – How old is PC
(8) – Is XP an UPGRADE from Win-98?
(9) – Any recent Hardware Upgrades?
(10) – What is Power Supply Rating – (Watts)-
(11) – Do you have any USB Devices that take PC out of sleep Mode -

Some USB tidbits -

USB Ports are limited to 500 milliamps max –

Usually USB Power Section is rated 2 ½ Amps –

Any [USB Powered} devices that draw over 200 milliamps should be connected thru [Self Powered HUBS] –

If you have several USB devices and have no [Self Powered HUBS] – you could be maxing out USB Power Supply or Current Limiting USB Ports –

Back USB Ports usually are HARD WIRED Connectors –(More reliable) – Better Band Pass

While the Front USB Ports are individually wired & usually contain wiring errors – And are easily disturbed or bumped/knocked loose – and may contain ground loops -

Jack123

Edited by Jack123, 30 September 2005 - 04:04 PM.

Adrian04

Adrian04

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 56 posts
Sorry for lack of info. and thanks for detailed reply Jack123

Note this problem has been happening a while, my original XP I couldn't get it to USB 2.0 speeds so I reformatted and installed XP to get the SP 2. This is when it stopped working

1. is attached

2. -PC is a desktop
-Sorry don't know what mfg is, but SP 2 installed
-6 USB 2.0 ports, 2 at front, 4 at back
-Front ports were working before, (but if I connect a Ipod wire to the front I get the same problem but when I do it through my dock it works fine)
- Power surge occurs as soon I plug anything into front ports
- Right not I have my printer and Ipod dock connected to USB ports at back. Sorry don't know what you mean by hubs.
-PC is only about 18 months old and see top of post.
-No recent hardware upgrades
-No USB devices take take my PC out of sleep mode
-Sorry I don't know how to find Power Supply Sorry for lack of info.
Attached File  Adrian_MOBO_1.htm   60.93KB   28 downloads
Attached File  Adrian_Devices_1.htm   143.78KB   28 downloads

Jack123

Jack123

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 944 posts
Date: 1st Oct-2005
Post – Adrian04

Received your info – have not reviewed - You Need to clarify – [POWER SURGE] for me

What is the action/result that occurs? & does the device function after the note/alert? – what do you do or respond with note – Ignore – disconnect – reboot -

(1) – A pop up Message / alert – what is wording of message -
(2) – Knocks off USB
(3) – Restarts PC

You listed these USB Devices:

1 – Printer
2 – Ipod
3 – Ipod Docking Station

Any more?

What other USB devices do you have – Camera – External Drive – Scanner -
What others did you have in Front Ports when it was working
Does Ipod work in Rear Ports
Where is Docking Station Connected to – Does it have its own Power?

What is Model & Make of Ipod – I can research from that side -

A USB HUB is a USB Device that essentially extends an existing USB Port to 4 or more Ports – where you had 6 ports – you now would have 9 ports available –

SP-2 with XP has had reported problems – who updated to SP-2 -

Jack123

Edited by Jack123, 01 October 2005 - 09:51 PM.

Adrian04

Adrian04

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 56 posts
As soon I connect the USB I get a bubble with message 'Power Surge on USB Port- A USB device has exceeded the power limits of its hub port' Then I click it and I get a tree saying USB root hub (8 ports) and an option to reset or close it. The device doesnt't function aftwerwards.
Thats all the devices I've had but like I said before I reinstalled XP to get USB 2.0 working I had my printer connected to the front as well and that worked fine even when my Ipod was there too. Ipod works in rear ports through the dock and is powered through the USB ports. My Ipod is a 4gb Mini

Jack123

Jack123

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 944 posts
Date: 3rd Oct-2005
Post – Adrian04

Sorry for delay - was researching -

I am trying to research specs on Ipod – but cannot find much on Power – Inrush Current –

In my 1st Post I gave some USB info –

Any [USB Powered} devices that draw over 200 milliamps should be connected thru [Self Powered HUBS] –

Back USB Ports usually are HARD WIRED Connectors –(More reliable) – Better Band Pass

While the Front USB Ports are individually wired & usually contain wiring errors – And are easily disturbed or bumped/knocked loose – and may contain ground loops -

– That pretty much describes possible problem –

It appears that the Ipod is considered a [High Power] USB device – and when Battery is low can cause problem with the USB Ports -
Following was taken from Manual -
Your iPod isn't connected to a high-power USB port
If you're connecting an iPod, iPod mini, or iPod shuffle to your Windows computer, make sure that you're connecting it to a high-power USB 2.0 port on your computer (not a low-power one such as the USB port on your keyboard or bus-powered USB hub).
Typically, USB 2.0 high-power ports are located directly on your computer. Try connecting your iPod to another USB port on the computer (or to a self-powered USB 2.0 hub that's connected to a high-power USB 2.0 port on your computer) if the computer still doesn't recognize your iPod. Alternatively, if your computer has a FireWire connection, try using that instead.
The site also talked about Ipod drawing more USB Power when Battery is low -
Also they talked about needing to reset Ipod when USB does not recognize Ipod – see link for reset info
- http://docs.info.app...ml?artnum=61705

SUGGESTION –

I would suggest purchasing a - [External Self Powered - 4 Port - USB 2.0 – HUB] with following specs:
(1) USB 2.0 4-Port High Speed Hub –

(2) Fully compatible with USB 2.0 specification –

(3) Fully backwards compatible with USB 1.1 specification –

(4) Supports Transfer rate of 1.5/12/480 Mbps –

**(5) 500mA each port is reliable up to 15 feet of transmission –

**(6) Support Self-Powered Mode –

**(7) Support Hot plug and play –

(8) One Upstream port - Four Downstream ports –

**(9) One LED to indicate Hub is ready - Four LED's to indicate per port status –

**(10) Downstream ports have automatic connect and speed detection function

**(11) plus over-current protection with auto recovery –

(12) Compatible with Windows 98/ME/2000/XP Mac OS X ->

Retail Package Includes: - USB 2.0 4-Port Hub - Mini-Switching Power Adapter (100-240VAC, 50/60Hz) - USB Cable for Hub - Manual

See link for - - http://www.usbgear.c...SBG-4PU2SI.html

I will address your Front USB Ports in my next Post – They may be damaged – but maybe not – They have current limit protection but some are only fused – Am trying to research your Intel USB Chipset - to see how/what the protection is -

What is Printer MFG & Model Number – I can see what the specs are on that - It should be very low – like <5 mills – Try disconnecting Ipod & any other USB devices that you have on PC – Then try Printer only on Front USB Ports – See if that works on theses ports – Let me know -

Here is Ipod Forum – have you Posted problem there? – Forum link
http://discussions.info.apple.com/[email protected]!skip=150

Jack 123