Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

THERE IS NO SOUND... shhh!

• Please log in to reply

gerald.janda

gerald.janda

• PipPip
  • 15 posts
ok.. so i was having problems locationg my defrager and cleanup.. and so i posted a forum that helped me get it back... i repaired it through the OS disk... (gateway, the blue one) and it did... my defrag is back and my cleanup is back... so i get on and try to start playing CS(counter-strike) (i know... i am 28 and still play this game) anyways... i get on.. AND KA BLAM!!! NO SOUND!!! i was like... wait what.?? ?i just ran the disk... anyways... i tried putting in the driver disk.. and installing the sound... and nothing... even in apps nothing... actually i really dont know what i am doing here so please help me... how can i get my sound back without having to REPLACE my XP???? just give me sound.... please....

very sad with no sound ,

:tazz: gerald

Advertisements

Fenor

Fenor

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,236 posts
Go to your CONTROL PANEL and double-click on Sound & Audio Devices. Then click on the AUDIO tab. What is listed for the Default Device under SOUND PLAYBACK?

Fenor

Fenor

Fenor

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,236 posts
Also, are their any items in DEVICE MANAGER (Right click MY COMPUTER, select PROPERTIES, then click on the HARDWARE tab and then DEVICE MANAGER) that have a yellow exclamation or question mark next to them?

Fenor

Emery Herman

Emery Herman

banned

• Banned
  • PipPip
  • 78 posts
Not meaning to be funny - Are you 100% sure everything is installed, plugged in and connected to the right holes?

Fenor

Fenor

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,236 posts
Good point, make sure you have the speakers plugged into the correct slot. Best way to solve this is to either play an mp3 or insert an audio cd and let it run in Windows Media Player, then go and switch the speaker plug from one slot to the next until you hear the sound. Of course make sure the volume isn't too low or muted in windows and that the speakers are on and the volume is turned up at least half way.

One thing too, is there a volume icon in your system tray by the clock that allows you to adjust the volume level?

Fenor

Emery Herman

Emery Herman

banned

• Banned
  • PipPip
  • 78 posts
When you try Fenor's idea with windows media player, make sure the volume stripe is pushed over to 100 and that nothing is muted.

Michael

Michael

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 1,869 posts
Gerald I had a look around and I see that you are having more than one problem in the XP forum but have not posted a HiJack This log could you please Read This and then post in the Malware Forum, not here. Once they say you are clean come back here and we will help you with what you need. (I have put this in all his questions because I think they have the same cause)

Edit: He did this topic twice Copy

Edited by Michael Buckley, 02 October 2005 - 07:28 PM.