Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Monitor sleeps.

• Please log in to reply

baphomet161

baphomet161

• Pip
  • 1 posts
Hello peeps. This is my first post so I don't know how much detail to add.
I've a Dell Dimension 3.0 with 1024ram and a 9800PRO graphics card. I run NOD32 anti-virus and a firewall. A few nights ago I'd left my computer running a download. (this may be in the wrong forum, but I'm not sure if its virus related or hardware.) I turned my machine of halfway through the night, and it had some form of error message displayed (I was sleeping on my feet and this didn't register with me untill the next morning.) Now when I start my computer and XP has finished loading, at the exact point where the screen would go blank for a second before desktop appears, my monitor goes into power-saving mode. Windows continues to load because I can hear it's little tune through the speakers but the monitor remains fast asleep. Safe mode just does the same. When I start it in safe mode with prompt it scrolls through a list of files untill it gets to win32/...(some random file stuff)/agp440.sys and then it hangs.
I realise this is all very noobish, but I'm very much a novice at this.

Advertisements

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
that agp440.sys is a video driver...i'm not sure if it's a windows driver or the one for your specific card

try this

boot from the xp cd and choose the r option to get to the recovery console, type sfc /scannow