Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Red Streaks on Screen with Ati 9800 Pro.

• Please log in to reply

Patem

Patem

• PipPip
  • 18 posts
I have an ati 9800 pro and literally 20 minutes ago I installed a Arctic cooling silencer on it. This was because the stock fan was no longer spinning.

Well, it boots up (the fan is working perfectly) But on my screen there are red streaks.
(shown in this image -> http://img255.images...redstuff5qq.jpg )

I dont know what caused it, but when i started up my computer right after installing I got a hardrive monitor error, but all my fans were spining. I was wondering what could be causing these red streaks. I did not break anything on the card, its still perfectly fine.

Could it be that when i plugged it in maybe some dust got into the AGP slot?

p.s-i tried cleaning out the agp slot to the best of my ability and am still getting the red marks..

p.p.s-If I have to get a new video card does anyone know a place on the internet that takes paypal + ships to canada? Thanks.

Edited by Patem, 30 September 2005 - 04:04 PM.

Advertisements

Pi rules

Pi rules

• PipPipPip
  • 634 posts
Are the read streaks always there? If you go into Safe Mode, are they there?
You could try reinstalling the driver for your video card.

If you think it has something to do with the card, try carefully rubbing the gold contacts with a lint-free cloth.

Fenor

Fenor

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,236 posts
I doubt this would even cause it but does this graphics card have to have power plugged into it from the power supply? Just a thought as I really don't like ATI cards and never use them so I never have come across this problem...

Fenor

Pi rules

Pi rules

• PipPipPip
  • 634 posts
I don't think that particular one needs it, but don't quote me on that.
Does it have a socket where the power supply cable should go?
Did you try Safe Mode or updating the drivers yet?

Patem

Patem

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts
It plugs in from the floppy drive, it was installed like that, are there any other video cards like that incase i have to buy another? thanks, ill go try the safe mode thing.

Uhm, everything looks kinda different colours to me, there are none of the red steaks though but everything looks kinda weird (might just be the safe mode look)

totally uninstalling and reinstalling all drivers did nothing.

Edited by Patem, 30 September 2005 - 09:06 PM.

Patem

Patem

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts
I tried cleaning the gold connector things and its still there..

Pi rules

Pi rules

• PipPipPip
  • 634 posts
What happens in Safe Mode?
Your graphics card might be gone. Did you shock it or anything?