Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

No boot nothing

• Please log in to reply

dege0808

dege0808

• Pip
  • 1 posts
Well I sure hope you all can help, I have been having a problem with my pc restarting all the time, so I did a clean install and got rid of everything, I partitioned my hd and all and it stopped for like 2 days still keeps restarting. Well this last time it wouldnt restart back up it got to the emachine logo and would freeze. Now it starts as dark black and goes to a lighter black. I get nothing. And ideas? Someone said maybe its the motherboard I dont know please help if you can.

Thanks
Dave

Need anymore info please ask.

Advertisements

Fenor

Fenor

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,236 posts
Hi dege0808! Welcome to G2G!

I would suggest you take out the memory sticks and blow them off and also blow out the slots they go into. Then put them back in, if the problem persists, trying just putting one of the sticks in at a time and boot up your computer and see what happens. Of course only due this if you are comfortable with doing it. If you're not, then see if you have a friend that is more comfortable and can do it for you.

Another possibility is that your power supply is going. How old is your machine?

Post back the details.

Fenor

Emery Herman

Emery Herman

banned

• Banned
  • PipPip
  • 78 posts
Before you take out your memory, take a quick smell in the motherboard and see if anything has been burnt. If there is anything burnt, replace it.

Fenor

Fenor

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,236 posts
Can't really do that, since if something is burned then the motherboard is scrap for most users since they would have no idea how to fix it. Also, it might not smell burnt but look burnt but most people won't be able to tell that.

Emery Herman

Emery Herman

banned

• Banned
  • PipPip
  • 78 posts
Open up your computer box. Unhook all your hardware from your mobo but keep your PSU, memory and video card plugged in. Turn on your computer and see if it works like it should. If it does, keep adding your hardware back to your computer until it won't startup anymore. The piece of hardware before making your machine fail to start will be broken or ready for replacement.

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
dege0808...

Before we have this machine spread out across the kitchen table, let's play with it a bit...

Do you hear a "beep" as the machine restarts?

Have you tried booting into Safe Mode? (tap the F8 key during boot sequence) Try the "Last known good configuration" option. If that option doesn't work, try the others...particularly the "Safe Mode with command prompt" option.

If you do happen to open the case, check to see that all your fans work, the CPU heat sink (finned thingie) is clear of dust and debris, and all cableing is connected firmly. Use compressed air to clean these areas if necesary. (Air can be purchased at most office supply stores.) You will need to power the machine on with the case open to check the CPU fan.

Please beware of static...use a static strap on your wrist or keep one hand on a metal part of the case when working near the motherboard.

wannabe1

Tyger

Tyger

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,896 posts
Some eMachines are famous for power supply failures. You might want to check that since it's very simple to test by substitution.