Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

GeeksToGo doesn't exist!

• Please log in to reply

criticman

criticman

• PipPip
  • 37 posts
Two mornings this week, my Firefox browser couldn't find this site for 3 or more hours. It said it didn't exist. It was okay with everything else, but not with geekstogo.com. Just what is happening to the internet? We all going to be beamed up to the mothership next week by some aliens holding a "To Serve Man" cookbook? This has gotta stop. These pirates can't be beat. I just spent two hours dilligently trying to get rid of UMonitor. I got down to one file left and only one. I was in Safe Mode. I could not clean it out. I went back to regular Windows, got online, and lo and behold! all the crap is back again. 20 minutes. To tell you the truth, it was back even BEFORE I got online, I did a preliminary scan with Ad Aware. That one file had turned into 6 files like magic. This dll must be an algorhythm which can sense when it's being played with and protects, then replicates itself. All of the UMonitor dlls are around the same size, 218-220 bytes. In an effort to kill that last one, I went into safe mode command prompt, where it turns out, they're totally invisible.
Pretty tricky for something that doesn't DO anything. I'm convince this is a backlash from all those telemarketers that just got locked out by the 'Do Not Call' law.
Happy New Year, anyway. I'm around if you want to beyotch or tell something interesting.

Rich

Advertisements

admin

admin

Founder Geek

• Administrator
  • 24,501 posts
We just had some server problems. :thumbsup: First we outgrew out old one, so it had a couple random crashes before we moved. Next, we had some security holes we had to patch in the new one, and the updating didn't quite all go as planned. :tazz:

*knocking on wood* I think we're in the clear now. But this is realy growing fast, don't be surprised if we have a few more hickups along the way. ;)