Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Building Computer, Need help

• Please log in to reply

nonexisting

nonexisting

• Pip
  • 1 posts
Okay so I'm pretty much a geek when it comes to the software side and web design area of computers but where i'm lacking is being good with the hardware so i'm a bit ashamed.

Anyways.

I have some experience with building computers, for years me and my dad would put them together but i'm real sketchie on the parts he usually does.

So I put this computer together for a friend who had all the parts.
I'm pretty sure i got everything plugged in right (yes i also followed the manual but the manual was honestly no real help).

I plug everything in and flip the switch for the power supply, the power supply makes a high pitch noise.. i honestly can't remember mine doing that when i first put it into my computer (but it being a few years ago i could be wrong). So i push the button the turn the computer on, nothing - the lil green light didn't turn on and no fans.
I also checked my computer to see if wiring is the same, even though they're both completely different boards - it looked about right i'd say so.
I also switched the pw sw, hd, ld switches around a few times to check if i was wrong.

So i'm thinkin either i missed a step or something in hookin it up, (or i completely messed up..)
either, the power supply is bad or the motherboard and processor are dead.

Any clues or advice?
Thanks

Advertisements

speedman

speedman

• PipPip
  • 45 posts
It might be the power supply, because some power sources make a noise when the curent goes into the coil but dont came out or the switch with the two power settings was set on the rong power that is used in your state. Dont really know, but you should chek it to make sure. :tazz:

speedman

speedman

• PipPip
  • 45 posts
Or test the power supply in a old computer because if its not good it might mess up some hardware.

Edited by speedman, 30 September 2005 - 11:09 PM.