Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Questions about video cards (I'm a newbie)

• Please log in to reply

kyli

kyli

• Pip
  • 6 posts
(sorry if i posted on this thread due to i am new and i still can't make a thread please respod anyways)

I'm really new at this thing in replacing or choosing the right video card for my Pc for gaming purposes. Please answer my question sorry if this is kind of a newbie question for experts.

1. I have an "Hp pavillion a424x" Specifications on this site:
http://h10025.www1.h...genericDocument? lc=en&cc=us&docname=c00057604

2. Its a PCI that has a 3 slot, does it mean that I could just put the new video card in the other slot not affecting how the first one will work.

3. Is there something to be change in the bios thing i read a forum about how someone have to change this after puting a new video card?

4. What is the melting all about, so do u still have to buy a fan for the video card, does it melt due to overuse of the card?

Advertisements

kyli

kyli

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
i forgot another question

Why is the ATI radeon 9200 is almost the same price with the ATI Radeon x300, yet x300 is newer than the 9200, 9200 came more earlier than it right...............why is the price still the same.............of course x300 is better right than the 9200 am i right???? thanks again

Thef0rce

Thef0rce

• PipPipPip
  • 380 posts
wow that's a lot of questions. I'll do my best :tazz:

your hp pavillion has 3 pci slots and onboard video in the motherboard. If you put a graphics card into one of the pci slots, it will disable the onboard video and work as the only display adapter.

no you don't have to mess with the bios usually, especially because its a pci card. They're usually the ultimate in plug-and-play support, even more so than AGP.

melting? I've never heard of a graphics card melting :) The radeon 9200 pci comes with a heatsink so you don't need a fan. I had one myself but it broke one day, I'm pretty sure it wasn't due to overheating though.

finally, the radeon x300 is a pci express card. It's different from the 9200, which is a pci card (and also comes in AGP too). you actually can't use the x300 in your pc, it doesn't have a pci express slot. I believe the 9200 is actually cheaper after rebate, I know I got mine for about $30 a year ago from office depot. ebay sells them like hotcakes.

hope that helps. :)

kyli

kyli

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
I dont get wat you mean bout this "it will disable the onboard video and work as the only display adapter."

1. whats an onboard video thingi?
2. So should i remove the old video card or not? what will happen to the onboard thingi if i dont or if i remove the video card. what does it do? what changes does it does?
3. "Only work as the only display adpater" huh what does that mean? is that a good thing or a bad thing?

(sorry for this "" i know questions i really dont know much bout comp stuff)

"What is the latest (if theres any) PCI video card?"

Thanks for your reply anyway, really need all the help i could get thanks again

Thef0rce

Thef0rce

• PipPipPip
  • 380 posts
onboard video is what you have in your HP right now. Click on the link you posted for the system specs, go down to video graphics and you will see "Integrated Intel Extreme graphics". This is the graphics controller.

You cannot remove the controller you have right now, since you will find that it's actually a little chip soldered on to your motherboard. However, if you install a graphics card, you will find that the graphics will run from the card instead. There is a lot more memory on the card than there is in the motherboard chip, making your graphics run a lot better for games.

a good pci graphics card is the radeon 9200, which you mentioned earlier. There are newer cards but avoid the pci-express cards, since those require a different hardware configuration, which isn't supported by your motherboard.

google "pci graphics card" for your options. you will also find good ones on ebay.

Dragons119

Dragons119

• PipPip
  • 14 posts
1. it means your video is probebly on he mobo.

2. if it is on the mobo you just ned to disable it it cant be removed if its on he MOBO.

Im not sure what the newest one is for pci is but go to newegg.com and do a search.

kyli

kyli

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
thanks for your replies i aprreciated it thanks