Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

DDR 400 and DDR333 at the same time

• Please log in to reply

amorupen

amorupen

• PipPip
  • 19 posts
i just got a 512ddr400 and put it into my computer, and its next to a 512ddr333 which is the standard for my computer. Is there any harm in doing this?

Advertisements

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
My computer uses PC2700 (DDR333). Can I use PC3200 (DDR400)?

DDR memory was designed to be backward compatible so generally speaking, you can safely add faster memory to your computer. For example, you can install a PC3200 DDR module in a computer that calls for PC2700 DDR. However, keep in mind that faster memory will not necessarily make your system faster. You can't speed up your computer by adding faster memory if other components in your computer (your processor or other memory modules) operate at a slower speed.

The right memory for your computer is the kind of memory it was designed to take. Check your system manual.

http://www.crucial.c...er.asp?qid=4058