Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Sluggish computer XP

• Please log in to reply

writertiff

writertiff

• PipPipPip
  • 129 posts
Two problems:

1st, it takes a year for my computer to boot up. It wasn't always doing this. I need help makingi it boot up faster.

2nd - when I first sign onto the computer, I get a ToggleKeys message and I have to cancel out of it every time. Saying "No" to it doens't work. It still comes up every time.

What do I do now? I appreciate your help in advance.
tiff :tazz:

Advertisements

Pi rules

Pi rules

• PipPipPip
  • 634 posts
Try these tips.
When was the last time you used CHKDSK to scan your hard drive and when did you last defragment?

Edit: You may want to run Housecall or ActiveScan. See my signature for the links.

Edited by Pi rules, 01 October 2005 - 07:06 AM.

dagger

dagger

• PipPipPip
  • 126 posts
check for nasties, disable unwanted items, and as Pi rules said run a disk cleanup, clean out crap, run chkdsk and defragment. A defragged drive and clean system can really incrase boot times...do these regualrly.
Delete your prefetch and also think of adding more RAM if its not enuf.

writertiff

writertiff

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 129 posts
Have been doing the XP tips and tweaks. Am about to defrag (I don't do this ever). Two more questions: 1st - you said do CHKDSK. Where do I do this and how? Second question - below is the list of everything listed when I go to Start-->Run-->msconfig-->startup tab. What do I NOT need? I have no idea what most of these are. Note: I need aol for sure and Word and I am networked to my husband and son's computer, so I need to make sure I don't screw any of that up.
Thanks!:

type32
AOLHostManager
mcmnhdlr
mcvsshld
mcagent
mcUpdate
AOLSPScheduler
jusched
RealPlay
qttask
PortAOL
carpserv
Ati2mdxx
AOLDial
AOL
Microsoft Office
Spyware Guard

Pi rules

Pi rules

• PipPipPip
  • 634 posts
To run CHKDSK (similar to ScanDisk in previous Windows versions):
Open My Computer, right-click the hard drive/partition you want to scan for errors, then click Properties, then choose the Tools tab and click the Check now button. Choose whether or not you want to scan for bad sectors (takes a while) and click OK. You may have to schedule the scan for the next time you restart.

Please notify me if any of the steps were incorrect...I did it from memory.

bigdave

bigdave

• PipPip
  • 45 posts
Run an Ad-Aware (lavasoft.de) scan. It may be parasites. Then do the chkdsk and defragmentation etc. Also a regclean (regmechanic or regclean) may be in order.

writertiff

writertiff

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 129 posts
Did the chkdsk. Running a tad faster. Can you look at my list above and tell me if there's any unneccesary items in my startup?

Pi rules

Pi rules

• PipPipPip
  • 634 posts
You can always look here.

Edit: You may want to defragment too.

Edited by Pi rules, 01 October 2005 - 10:20 AM.

bigdave

bigdave

• PipPip
  • 45 posts
Post a HiJack log.

Johanna

Johanna

The Leather Lady

• 3,038 posts
Start> Control Panel> Accessability Options> Keyboard> Toggle Keys

If you suspect malware, go here:
http://www.geekstogo..._Log-t2852.html

AOL is a dog, and places quite a drain on system resources while delivering less than stellar service.

To disable some of the other unnecessary items in your start up menu:
http://www.mlin.net/StartupCPL.shtml

If you know when your computer started acting up, you could try using System Restore to a date prior to that. Email and other data will not be lost or changed.

You could visit this site and run the test. It will flag potential problems and areas you could improve or upgrade with tips for your system.
http://www.pcpitstop.com/

There are a few XP Tweaks in the sticky at the top of this forum, also.

HTH
Johanna

Emery Herman

Emery Herman

banned

• Banned
  • PipPip
  • 78 posts
Download tune up utilities. Check it out and see what great things this super program can do to tweak the overall performance, security and stability of your machine.

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Hi writertiff...

Czarina posted some very good information for you. I would recommend following the suggestions she provided. There are no costs involved in the applications she mentions.

wannabe1