Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

help not found

• Please log in to reply

cvele

cvele

• PipPip
  • 18 posts
when i press F1 or go to help it says "windows cannot find helpctr.exe and says to search for the file. i did but cant find it so could someone send me there file maybe or tell me what i should do thanks :tazz:

Advertisements

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Administrator
  • 26,019 posts
  • MVP
try putting in your xp cd and doing start > run > sfc /scannow

cvele

cvele

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts
i would but i dont know where it is right now but if i find it i wll any other suggestions

Guest_1069_*

Guest_1069_*
Cvele,

you have 2 posts ( keyboard being the other ) in which you describe normal functions not working.

Which OS are you having problems with?

Have you just reinstalled or have you added / deleted any software recently?

Your details list XP - this link may be of help: http://www.kellys-ko...m/top10faqs.htm

BUT - before you do anything if you have had problems that you know about could you give us some more details.

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Hello cvele...

IF this is Windows XP (as it shows in your profile)...

Click on Start then Run, and type in: %systemroot%\pchealth\helpctr\binaries\HelpCtr.exe and press "Enter".

wannabe1

Edited by wannabe1, 01 October 2005 - 11:24 AM.

cvele

cvele

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts
thanks a lot, that shows help but how can i make it work when i click on help or press F1

cvele

cvele

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts
:tazz: oops sorry for double posting it didnt appear before

edit: i just realized where i posted this, could someone move it to the XP section please

Edited by cvele, 01 October 2005 - 12:18 PM.

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Hi cvele...

We'll just pretend you're in the XP forum for the moment.... :tazz:
Try pressing the Windows Start key (between Ctrl and Alt) and F1...that's the default in XP.

windows cannot find helpctr.exe

This would lead me to believe that the file may be corrupt or missing. You can try to recover the file using the following procedure...if the file is missing, it will have to be recovered from the cd using a similar procedure.

Open a CMD.EXE window...Click Start then Run , type cmd.exe, and click Ok.
At the prompt, type the following command (Copy and Paste it if you can) and press "Enter".

REG ADD "HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\App Paths\HELPCTR.EXE" /VE /T REG_SZ /D "C:\WINDOWS\PCHealth\HelpCtr\Binaries\HelpCtr.exe" /F

Let me know how it goes...

wannabe1

Edited by wannabe1, 01 October 2005 - 01:25 PM.

cvele

cvele

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts
ok i typed(i couldnt copy and paste) that and it it just said operation completed successfully.
nothing changed

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
cvele...

Did you ever find your installation cd? It sounds like you have a missing or corrupt file that needs to be replaced.

wannabe1

cvele

cvele

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts
i will look for where it is soon. when i find it what should i do? i dont want to reinstall me pc

Edited by cvele, 02 October 2005 - 09:16 AM.

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
cvele...

There are several ways to replace bad files without reinstalling the OS. The catch is, we need the installation cd to get the good files from... :tazz: Let us know when you find your cd and we'll see if we can get you fixed up!

wannabe1

Edited by wannabe1, 02 October 2005 - 09:53 AM.

cvele

cvele

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts
ok thanks you have helped me out alot now all i got to do is look for the disk... i will post when i find it