Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Can't connect parallel port printer to USB laptop

• Please log in to reply

DarcyMae

DarcyMae

• Pip
  • 5 posts
I have a new Toshiba laptop that I want to connect to an old HP color DeskJet 672C. I purchased a USB to parallel converter cable to attach the two since the printer uses parallel. Windows XP still supports the hardware and I had no trouble loading the drivers. However, "plug and play" did not recognize the printer, which leads me to think that there's something wrong with how I'm connecting the two. Also, I went to HP's website and downloaded the program that lets their system assess my hardware and they didn't find the printer.

Can anyone tell me where I've gone wrong?

Advertisements

NullWolf

NullWolf

• PipPipPip
  • 225 posts
When you use a USB -> Parallel adapter, you're going to have to install the printer manually. When setting the port for the printer, instead of LPT1, the adapter will usually show up as "USB Printer" depending on the brand of the adapter.

Which adapter do you have, I can pull some info on it.

DarcyMae

DarcyMae

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
I did install the printer drivers manually since plug & play didn't work. Actually, I installed them twice, just to make sure I didn't screw it up the first time :tazz: They are installed on LPT1.

The cable is a Dynex USN to parallel converter cable. Model DX-UBPC. It is a "USB to IEEE1284" (the HP site mentioned that this was important, so thought I'd mention it).

If it helps any, the error message when I try to print is "this document failed to print". The troubleshooter gives up on me after I note that I've installed the drivers.

NullWolf

NullWolf

• PipPipPip
  • 225 posts
Its probably not going to show up as LPT1.
Lets double-check.
Click START -> Right-click My Computer -> Click Properties -> Click Hardware -> Click Device Manager -> Click PORTS.
See if it lists LPT1. (Many USB -> Parallel devices will default to another port, ex. LPT2 etc...)
If not, then click Universal Serial Bus Controllers and see if "USB Printer", "USB Parallel Bridge" or something of that nature shows up.

Also, using XP, most USB -> Parallel devices can just be setup on port "USB001" under the printer driver's Port selections.

Sorry, I couldn't find anything specifically to this adapter.

Edited by NullWolf, 01 October 2005 - 11:09 AM.

DarcyMae

DarcyMae

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
Okay, I was right with you until you asked me to click on "Ports" under "Device manager". There is no selection called "Ports". Here are my options:
Batteries
Computer
Disk Drives
Discplay adapter
DVD/CD ROM drives
Human interface devices
IDE ATA/ATAPIcontrollers
Keyboards
Mice
Modems
New Adapter
PCMIA Adapter
Processors
Sound, video, & game controllers
System devices
Universal Serial Bus controllers

NullWolf

NullWolf

• PipPipPip
  • 225 posts
:tazz: Which means its not gonna show LPT anything...

Check under Universal Serial Bus Controllers for "USB Printer", "USB Parallel Bridge" or something of that nature

DarcyMae

DarcyMae

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
Here's what's under Universal Serial Bus Controllers. None have drop down keys. What am I looking for?

Standard Enhanced PCI to USB Port Controller
Standard HCD USB Host Controller (2 of these, identical)
USB Composite Device
USB Printing Support
USB Root Hub (3 of these, identical)

NullWolf

NullWolf

• PipPipPip
  • 225 posts
USB Printing Support

Most likely you're going to have to setup the printer on port "USB001"

Click START -> Printers and Faxes
Right-click on your printer and click Properties.
Click the PORTS tab.
Towards the bottom of the Ports list, there should be USB1, USB001 or something like that. Select that one and click OK.
See if you can print now.

DarcyMae

DarcyMae

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
I can print now!

One funny thing....the printer WAS set up on LPT1. At least I know I'm not going bananas!

Thank you, you're the greatest! I was getting so frustrated that I was getting ready to buy a new printer.

NullWolf

NullWolf

• PipPipPip
  • 225 posts
:tazz: No problems, I deal with these various adapters on a daily basis at work, they never setup the way they should.

adimapamida

adimapamida

• Pip
  • 1 posts

:whistling: No problems, I deal with these various adapters on a daily basis at work, they never setup the way they should.

HI! anyone remember this... i am trying to do the exact same thing and followed the steps, but my result was not as happy at the end. i am also ready to toss my printer out the window and fear that i may need to uninstal a bunch of stuff i have put in incorrectly before i can proceed. Can anyone help me?
thanks

NeekoSpoon

NeekoSpoon

• Pip
  • 5 posts
Alright I shoulda done my research first, hoping I'm not outta luck. I have a very similar problem to this very old topic. The posted solution hasn't been doing the trick for me though. I have the exact same cable. I also can't make my printer print using a computer that has only usb ports. I found the USB001 and things looked a bit more promising for a bit. I hit a road block again when it still wont after doing all of that. Differences for me include the printer which I don't imagine is much of a big deal since windows still knows the printer model, but more importantly and probably the game ender is the computer I'm using is an out of the box windows 7 machine. Am I outta luck?

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Direct to: NeekoSpoon

Please start your own topic
Although your issue may seem similar there can be other factors that may need to be resolved.
By bumping on a topic that is over 3 years old you probably will not get any assistance. By following advice given here it could cause your system to become unstable or unusable.
Thank you for your cooperation.