Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

XP won't boot up

• Please log in to reply

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Hi DarbyC...

All you need to complete this installation is the XP cd. It will partition the drive and format it for you. Put your cd in the drive and restart. At the bottom of the first screen, you'll see the line "Press any key to boot from cd"...press a key.

At the Welcome to Setup page, press ENTER.
Press F8 to accept the Windows XP Licensing Agreement.

Press C to create a new partition by using unpartitioned space.

Type the size in megabytes (MB) that you want to use for the new partition, and then press ENTER, or just press ENTER to create the partition with the maximum size.

If you want to install Windows XP, use the ARROW keys to select the partition where you want to install Windows XP, and then press ENTER.

Select the format option that you want to use for the partition, and then press ENTER. You have the following options:

• Format the partition by using the NTFS file system (Quick)
• Format the partition by using the FAT file system (Quick)
• Format the partition by using the NTFS file system
• Format the partition by using the FAT file system
• Leave the current file system intact (no changes)

After the Windows Setup program formats the partition, follow the instructions that appear on the screen to continue. After the Windows Setup program is completed, you can use the Disk Management tools in Windows XP to create or format more partitions.

wannabe1

Edited by wannabe1, 05 October 2005 - 06:41 PM.

Advertisements

DarbyC

DarbyC

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts
Thank you very much. It was fairly easy to install the hard drive. The worst part was putting up with an old, slow computer, which I had to use to access the internet, to get the information necessary to get my newer one up and running.

Once I get all the data I want copied from the old computer, I will probably visiting G2G as I'm going to 'practice' on the old one.

Thanks again.

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
DarbyC...

Glad to hear it went well for you!!!! :tazz:

We'll watch for you when you return to "practice"...... :)

wannabe1