Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Problems with the comp i'm building

• Please log in to reply

maximusnukeage

maximusnukeage

• Pip
  • 4 posts
I just put together a new comp with a DFI Lanparty UT SLI-DR mobo and a AMD Athlon 64 3500+. once i had the computer mostly put together (e.g. floppy, cd drive, hard drive, ram, processor, PS) and i realized that there is NO WAY TO CONNECT A MONITOR to the board. so, i just slipped in my evga geforce 7800gt and attached my LCD monitor to that, with an adapter. but when I powered up the sysetm all the fans and everything went on, but there was no activity on the monitor. and the cd drive wouldnt open when i pushed the button. and the "diagnostic LEDs" all went on and stayed on, indicating that the system was still at the earliest start up phase and hadnt recognised the prossesor, RAM, or VGA. Help! I cant get my new comp to work

Advertisements

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
try starting the machine up with everything out of the case...basically pull the board out and set it on a piece of cardboard then hook everything up...the board may be grounding on the case

maximusnukeage

maximusnukeage

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
but all the fans light up when i turn on the power. but i have noticed somthing, the aspire 600w power supply dosent have a 4 pin 12v connector, just an 8 pin 12v connector that they say doubles for a 4 pin, but because of the set up of transistors on the board the 8 pin wont fit. bottom line i havent connected the 4 pin motherboard powersupply. only the 20/24 pin atm main power. would that effect my mobo's ability to start the cmos

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
yeah, if your board has the 4 pin spot, but the psy doesnt have the 4 pin connecter it isn't gonna work no matter what you do

maximusnukeage

maximusnukeage

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
do you know where i could get an adapther from 8pin to 4 pin

comanighttrain

comanighttrain

• PipPipPip
  • 553 posts
omg...that sucks.

you may need to just get a new PSU, i had a similar problem before

maximusnukeage

maximusnukeage

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
it turns out that the 8 pin was just 2 4pins so i was able to fix the problem and now the system goes to the CMOS with out incident. however now the comp dosent recognise the OEM 200gb sata maxtor hard drive. i have the sata cable connected to the drive and motherboard and i have the powercable connected from the PS to the Hard drive. any ideas?