Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Help with New XP on New PC

• Please log in to reply

Mxrider

Mxrider

• PipPip
  • 16 posts
Alright, I finally finished building my New PC, first time I have ever attempted it. I have never had to install windows, so the whole OS install thing is completely new to me. After fumbling around for what seemed like weeks, I managed to get \my new WD Caviar SE16 250GB hdd recognized by my computer. I installed the Nvidia drivers, got the OS installing, got to the part where I start to enter in my settings, and my keyboard simply stopped working. I was just past the point where I entered in the Administrator password, and it stopped. I think it must be a driver issue or something, because they keyboard works fine in Bios and on my old PC, that is barely over 3 years old. It ISN'T USB, which leads me to the driver issue, and I also pulled out my 8 year old keryboard that isnt usb and it wouldnt respond in windows either. What I need help with, is how am I supposed to enter into windows to install the drivers when I cant type in the password! I am going to borrow a usb keyboard from a friend in a few hours, to try that, but it is sooo frustrating to muddle through all of this the first time to be stuck at the XP logon screen! Any help is much appreciated and I will respond to replies within 10 mins or less, thank you!

Edited by Mxrider, 01 October 2005 - 11:35 AM.

Advertisements

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Administrator
  • 26,019 posts
  • MVP
try the usb keyboard and get back to us..hopefully that will work

Mxrider

Mxrider

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts
thanks, Im on my way now, I hope this works, because this PC is going to be 1000000X above and beyond anything I have ever owned or used. Especially for only $1050.

Johanna

Johanna

The Leather Lady

• 3,038 posts
If you are still in the middle of the install, the keyboard may become responsive again. If you have finished the install, try Safe Mode to install your keyboard drivers.

Johanna

Mxrider

Mxrider

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts
I don't know how far along I was in the install, but I got the admin password entered and it quit. I rebooted and it started XP up normally and the login screen had an Admin tab, but I can't type in the password. For the record, it is WinXp Proffessional SP2

Johanna

Johanna

The Leather Lady

• 3,038 posts
Be sure your BIOS is set to boot from cd and resume your install, or start over. I would start over.

Johanna

Mxrider

Mxrider

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts
Just got back, I am having someone pick up a cheap USB keyboard for me, but until then, how would I go about starting over with the install. Windows completely finished installing, I was just entering basic settings and what not. Also, what steps would I take to boot in safe mode to load the drivers? As I told you before, the OS installation is really new to me.

Johanna

Johanna

The Leather Lady

• 3,038 posts
Usually you can get safe mode by tapping F8 at boot.

So, the keyboard quit after the install was complete? Have you rebooted? Is it possible that the connection is loose? Are all of your MS updates done?

Johanna

Mxrider

Mxrider

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts
I just finished trying out the USB keyboard and it worked. $30, lol all i needed. Now I am enduring the 9 hour process of installing drivers and rebooting and swapping discs etc. etc. etc. wish me luck. Also, look over in system building and overclocking for the new post I made. I might be having some difficulties and need some advice.

Thanks
-Andrew

Fenor

Fenor

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,236 posts
I would still do Czarina's idea and redo the installation of Windows XP to make certain it completes completely. It may work now but you might have problems later on because something could of not gotten installed or got installed incorrectly or the file is corrupted during the install, etc...

Just put your XP CD in the driver, boot off of it, then on the first screen that appears hit 'ENTER', on the next screen that appears hit 'F8' to agree to the Terms & Conditions' and then on the next screen I believe it is 'Esc' that you press to do a new installation of windows and NOT repair it. Then choose the parition you want to install windows on and hit 'ENTER' and then choose NTFS, you can do quick, but I never recommend it to anyone. It might be faster but can cause problems later on.

Fenor

Johanna

Johanna

The Leather Lady

• 3,038 posts
I'll head over and check it out. Thanks for letting us know you worked it out with the new keyboard, and congratulations on your first build. I'm probably gonna be jealous when I see your system specs, huh? You can't go wrong building your own- not only do you get exactly what you need to do what you do, but you get an education that makes the next comp even better. LOL

Johanna
always shopping on NewEgg...

Mxrider

Mxrider

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts
[/URL]

I'll head over and check it out.  Thanks for letting us know you worked it out with the new keyboard, and congratulations on your first build.  I'm probably gonna be jealous when I see your system specs, huh?  You can't go wrong building your own- not only do you get exactly what you need to do what you do, but you get an education that makes the next comp even better.  LOL

Johanna
always shopping on NewEgg...

View Post

I got everyhting from newegg, and they havent ever done me wrong.
As I said before, X installed completely, all that was left to do was enter in trivial things that I can do from control panel. Is it possible to partition my drive since it is so big and install XP on it also? I know I read yea or ney somewhere but acn;t remember. As for system specs, I spent $900 on it, and I must say it is the most kickass case I have ever seen for $66.

I put the specs in my other post, pm me if you want more details lol

link to case
case