Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Erase OS & Network Config from laptop revisted

• Please log in to reply

dfb500

dfb500

• PipPip
  • 75 posts
Here is a question from an earlier post. I wanted to take my business laptop and convert it for personal use. Basically I wanted to reformat the drive thereby removing all of the business programs and network links etc.

I was advised in a response here to apply my Windows XP CD in the CD drive, change the bios to boot from CD and follow directions for reformatting drive and installing Windows.

Here are the current issues, although Windows XP installed succesfully the Computer still prompts to choose between XP and 2000 (this was the previous OS). If 2000 is chosen an error is received, since 2000 should now be gone how do I get the laptop not to prompt for the choose.

Also, although the program menu and desktop appear to show all previous programs as removed the actual folders still exist taking up hardrive space. If you go to ADD/REMOVE PROGRAMS there are no programs listed so it appears that the bits and pieces that still remain on C: are not registered. How come the install did not clean all this out when it reisntalled Windows? I know some files from the MY DOCS folder were deleted. I was hoping for a clean laptop after this process.

Any ideas?

Advertisements

Fenor

Fenor

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,236 posts
Did you actually FORMAT the drive when you put the XP cd in? What you need to do is when you are asked what partition you want to install the OS on, you need to delete any partitions that are shown (Hit 'D' and then 'Enter' and then 'L' for each one), then you need to hit 'C' to create a partion and hit 'Enter' on the next screen and then hit 'Enter' again to choose the newly made partition as the partition you wish you install XP on. You then need to choose the type of format, use NTFS, but NOT NTFS (Quick). Then follow the prompts and windows will be installed.

Fenor

Btw, this should be in the XP, 2000, 2003, NT forum since it is related to an XP machine, but no big deal :tazz: