Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

WinXP SP2 and nForce2 tweaker

• Please log in to reply

trodas

trodas

• PipPipPip
  • 101 posts
First - there you can download nForce2 tweaker, a usefull (highly) tool for professional (do NOT tweak if you don't know what you are doing!!!) overclockers:
http://forum.abit-us...p?postid=379291

It does run on any chipset, just don't try the button Set, please.

As you can see, it is a zip archive and containing the IO.DLL file. Nothing wrong with it, just copy it to the system32 directory and it will run - except you are running on the damned XP SP2 crap.
Win2k SP2/3 and WinXP SP1 run fine, but SP2 complain:

Posted Image

and then

Posted Image

Well, Im admin and why in the name of God I can't run normal software, that is beyond my understanding. Can anyone enlighten me, how to make THIS work?

I understand that it probably require some tweaking of the security settings, but hey - what to do? I don't like the idea of installing XP SP1 just to make it work, so I hope someone can help me to archive the goal quicker.

Thanks for helpfull responses - and if some explaination WHY this is happening will be done - the better.

PS. I tried register the dll:
regsvr32 \windowns\system32\IO.DLL
...but it does not work/help at all...

Help???

Edited by trodas, 05 January 2006 - 03:57 AM.

Advertisements

trodas

trodas

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 101 posts
I would very much like to add that user trodas has, of course, administrator privilegies and it is into the administrator group... :) :tazz: :) :)

pip22

pip22

Trusted Tech

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,663 posts
SP2 guards system files more rigorously. MS calls it 'Data Execution Prevention'. That could account for your problem. You can create an exception on a file by file basis, but you can't turn it off. XP and XP-SP1 don't have the DEP security feature.

trodas

trodas

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 101 posts
pip22 - okay, sounds logical. Where to tweak it, please? :tazz: :)

One user suggested puting the io.dll (altrought it complain about io.sys and not io.dll) into windows dir, and not into windows/system32 one, so I tried and it seems to work - for the first time no message when I run it for the first time!

Okay, but not for long. I log in, put the io.dll into windows dir, run tweaker - surprisingly no error message about "enable to extract IO.SYS (io.sys, not io.dll!!!) for the first time, so I tought everything is green and supergreen and I set my settings as startup settings, reboot and long it again - and again the [bleep] error message was on screen :woot: For christ sake with the SP2 crap! :)

Edited by trodas, 07 November 2005 - 01:09 PM.

trodas

trodas

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 101 posts
^bump^ ...please?

trodas

trodas

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 101 posts
I hear that it might be something like:

"SP2 guards system files more rigorously. MS calls it 'Data Execution Prevention'. That could account for your problem. You can create an exception on a file by file basis, but you can't turn it off. XP and XP-SP1 don't have the DEP security feature."

Mmmmkay, according to the M$, the 'Data Execution Prevention' could be easily disabled when moding the Boot.ini file like this:
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/875352

Set the /noexecute=AlwaysOff into the Boot.ini, however the problem persist.
Still is says that IO.SYS is present, but the driver cannot connect to and EPrivilege :tazz:

WinXP SP2is just plain crap, IMHO. The problem is, that reinstalling the machine means that it stop folding for a while, and that is out of question ATM, due to massive race :) So, a XP SP2 solution will still come handy...

Or maybe I could live with anything else, that can change the advanced timings and the latency things as nForce2 tweaker do, run on startup fine and did not cause any problems :)
I mean mainly these:

Posted Image

Possibility to select even lower latency timings (as low as 0) will be even better, as the machine have absolutely NOTHING to do with any graphic or PCI devices and all speed is put to the folding AND lower latency improve the speed of CPU a lot :woot: (hexus PI benches, for example)