Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

hard drive seems dead; what now?

• Please log in to reply

dandal

dandal

• PipPip
  • 17 posts
I have a Dell Inspiron 5100 Notebook. It is about a year and a half old. I was using it a two days ago and all of a sudden the screen went blue and said something like "windows has detected a vital error". I got a few more random error messsages that I don't recall and then the computer crashed. I was able to use the computer one more time after that happened -- and the computer worked fine, as if nothing had happened.

However, as of last night -- I can't get the computer to find the hard drive. When I turn on the computer I get to a screen that says

"Primary hard disk drive 0 not found
No bootable devices-- strike f1 to retry boot, F2 for setup utility."

It cannot find the hard drive.

I called Dell. The customer service person had me take out the battery of the laptop, take out the hardrive and put it back in. When I still got to the same screen, she said "that means the hard drive is dead, you need a new hard drive, unfortunately your 1 year warranty is expired so there is nothing we can do other than sell you a new hard drive".

So here are the questions:

1) Is there anything else I can try?

2) When you take out the hard disk and put it back in, and the computer can't find it, does that mean you've lost everything that's been saved on your computer forever?

3) Assuming the hard drive won't work on my computer any more, where's the best/most affordable place to turn to try to get the data off the hard disk. I have many family photos and projects that I've saved on the disk over the last year that cannot be replaced. I called Comp USA -- and they suggested that just looking at a laptop migth cost $150 dollars. How much should I expect to pay to save my photos/documents and what is the likelihood that they can be saved at all?

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Advertisements

comanighttrain

comanighttrain

• PipPipPip
  • 553 posts
ahhh....depends how dead the hard drive is.

1) you could try a Laptop - IDE connector and put the hd in a computer and see if it kicks off that.

2) no, but itll cost you to get it rescued

3)im not so sure with USA

roostermilk

roostermilk

• PipPip
  • 13 posts
If you have any vital information or files you can't live without I would definately try to get them recovered; else buy a new hdd and get on with your life. :/ :tazz: