Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Windows system files damaged

• Please log in to reply

Novaprospekt

Novaprospekt

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 66 posts
i think most of my friends that would have their XP disks handy have OEM too... hmm

Advertisements

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Try here

http://www.theelderg..._windows_xp.htm

Look at the final one for Windows Installation CD to repair the current installation

It uses a slightly different method

Once the inspection is complete, files will start to load from the CD to begin the installation. Eventually the screen shown in Figure 02 will be displayed offering three options. This is the point where the majority of confusion occurs about repairing a current installation. The second option asks if you want to repair an XP installation using Recovery Console.

In some situations this may be the desired course of action, but in this case we want to repair XP without using Recovery Console.

Rather than the second option, select the first option to set up Windows by pressing Enter.

Novaprospekt

Novaprospekt

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 66 posts
I tried the final method, no use there.

In the meantime, I pulled the hard-drive out of the chassis and it is now in mine. Powered and connected to my last ATA port on my mobo (it's a SATA harddrive, and doesn't have an IDE Ribbon cable port which kinda sucks).

Only problem at this point is that I don't think it's recognized, i.e. not showing up in my computer. How do I fix that?

oreofudge

oreofudge

• PipPip
  • 27 posts
I've been following this thread since I'm having the exact same issue. What I did first was to try to recover the data before going any further, so I slaved the troubled HD to another puter, but as soon as I powered-on the puter and started to load things up, it started to run CHKDSK on the troubled HD. After it ran for a while my puter started but a bit slow, when everything was loaded-up I tried to access the troubled hard drive to do a backup but was unable to open it, it asked for me to format it, so I cancelled everything and returned it to its puter and I'm still unable to recover nor the data nor the system.

Novaprospekt

Novaprospekt

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 66 posts
i actually just solved my problem.. the microsoft guide fixed it.

heres what i had to do. i couldnt get the harddrive working on my good puter so i went back to the bad one. harddrive plugged back in and got back to the error msg.

go to recovery console and follow that first microsoft guide keith gives. now where i had the problem with the system file not existing, it doesn't exist because it had a special extension because when i specified its extention in the copy command, it copied properly and i got into windows... enabling me to continue the guide.

right now im fixing up the internet connection but i successfully did a system restore to sept 29 and am running pretty well.

thanks guys

Fenor

Fenor

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,236 posts
Sweet glad to hear it. Most of the time with people that have this problem they have to do a clean format/install. Come to think of it this is the first time this problem was solved with the original version of windows still intact and usable. Don't know about anyone else but it's a milestone for me :tazz:

Fenor

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Thank You for posting the solution