Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Having problems opening programs

• Please log in to reply

edhalfdead

edhalfdead

• PipPip
  • 89 posts
When ever my roommate opens a program it opens with search. If she right clicks on the program at the top of the list is search in bold letters. Is there a way to disable this? She is running windows xp home, hp desktop, norton. Thank you in advance. Your group has always supplied me with the answers I need. Ed

Advertisements

Fenor

Fenor

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,236 posts
Hi edhalfdead,

Try this option first. Go to START-->RUN and type in: sfc /scannow <--Note the space between sfc & /scannow.

This will go through and check each windows file and replace any files that are corrupt/damaged. After the blue bar goes away, reboot your computer.

Post back if this worked or not and we will go to other options available.

Fenor

Edited by Fenor, 01 October 2005 - 03:40 PM.

edhalfdead

edhalfdead

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 89 posts
Thank you for the quick reply. I had her do as you said and it worked perfectly. Once again this site has proven to be a great asset to my friends and I. Thank You Fenor. ed

edhalfdead

edhalfdead

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 89 posts
Fenor, I had thought the problem was solved, but this morning it's back the same way it was. I am running sfc /scannow again and I will post the outcome when I come back in a couple of hours. ed

edhalfdead

edhalfdead

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 89 posts
Fenor and all else who want to help... She still has the same problem even after running sfc /scannow please help thank you ed :tazz:

Fenor

Fenor

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,236 posts
When did this problem begin? If it wasn't too long ago, try doing a system restore to a day before it happened and see how things go.

Fenor

edhalfdead

edhalfdead

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 89 posts
:tazz: Fenor, Thank You once again for the guidance in repairing yet another problem with these devices that are supposed to make our lives easier. I had her go back about two weeks and restore to that point and since then no problems.
Add yet another point to this forum and the people who make it what it is.