Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

validate my windows xp pro

• Please log in to reply

trucker

trucker

• PipPipPip
  • 233 posts
for some unknown reason when microsoft started validing the reg num on windows mine wouldnt work anymore, they gave me a new code but i dont know where to change it can someone plz help me do this thxs

Advertisements

Fenor

Fenor

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,236 posts
They, meaning Microsoft gave you a new Windows Product key?

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
If this happened during activation, it won't affect the XP CD product key

Fenor

Fenor

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,236 posts
If your version of Windows doesn't have Service Pack 2 installed yet, then I suggest you check out this site for 'How to change the Volume Licensing product key on a Windows XP SP1-based computer.'

trucker

trucker

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 233 posts
yes a new product key

trucker

trucker

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 233 posts
it does have service pack 2

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Hi trucker...

Try this...click Start and point to All Programs then to Accessories then to System Tools and click on "Activate Windows"

wannabe1

trucker

trucker

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 233 posts
its not there in system tools

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
trucker...

To open Registration Wizard, click Start then click Run. In the Open box, type regwiz /r (Note the space before /r.) and click "Ok"

wannabe1

trucker

trucker

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 233 posts
nope cant do that its got the old number already in it ive got to change that key

Advertisements

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
trucker...

Your machine seems to be saying "No" to our attempts. Try giving Microsoft another call and see if they have some deep, dark secret way of doing this. I, for one, would be quite interested in how you make out.

Another thing you can try is to open "My Documents", click "Help" on the Toolbar, and click "Is this copy of Windows legal?"...perhaps, you are already registered through the phone call.

wannabe1

Edited by wannabe1, 01 October 2005 - 05:10 PM.

trucker

trucker

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 233 posts
well i did that and im begining to think it maybe an active x issue. i went to microsofts help site but i cant seem to download the activex that it asks for. normaly i see a tool bar that tells me to download but its not there with this :tazz: plz understand that ive had this copy of xp pro installed over a yr now. this just became an issue when mirosoft began vatidating there product keys, my computer was rebuit using a lagit copy I spoke with mirosoft this afternoon thats when they gave me the new key

Edited by trucker, 01 October 2005 - 06:44 PM.

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Are you running any Symantec (Norton) applications or Zone Alarm?

I ask because I've seen a lot of issues concerning these applications and the Windows Update site lately.

wannabe1

Johanna

Johanna

The Leather Lady

• 3,038 posts
Wannabe1:
Correct. You must shut off Norton's ad blocker to access the MS Update site. Trucker: also, BITS, error reporting and auto update must be turned on in Services. Active X must be set for "enable" or "prompt".

Johanna

trucker

trucker

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 233 posts
i dont have nortons and i followed dir from microsoft. when i went back to update it wouldnt connect to the net. not sure why im on line. they have 3 or 4 fixes there none worked for me still cant get activeX to load