Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Windows XP display not working right

• Please log in to reply

ScreenName123

ScreenName123

• Pip
  • 4 posts
I recentley got the WIN32.P2P-Worm.Alcan.a out of my system (allong with a few hundred other things that had been lurking in my system). I was relevied to find i had gottten rid of it, but was soon very fustrated. It seems that some system files got deleted, resulting in some of the visual settings missing. FOr example, the theme for Windows XP has been replaced by windows Classic. When I went to change it back to the XP theme, i found it was no longer avalible. i was wondering if anone could help. any help would be appreciated.

Advertisements

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
This is probably quickest

http://www.geekstogo...ws-XP-t138.html

Don't worry; Windows XP repair feature won't delete your data, installed programs, personal information, or settings. It just repairs the operating system

ScreenName123

ScreenName123

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
Yeah, I was thinking of doing that, in fact i was just reading it right now.

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
System file check might find it but the repair will cover all the bases

ScreenName123

ScreenName123

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
Yeah. Right now I'm really trying to find out if anyone else has had this problem.

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
You could work through this to check

http://www.geekstogo...-Log-t2852.html

ScreenName123

ScreenName123

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
Yeah, that's what got me through the Alcan.a problem. And i think it was because I set Ewido to delete infected files manually that this problem was started. It's a very helpful guide.

AlekNoStar

AlekNoStar

• PipPip
  • 33 posts
I have the same problem! The thing is i don't have a Windows CD, i think it's in my computer... so i need to contact custumer service and they will send me one?

Do i absolutely need one?

I bought my computer less than a year ago, don't worry i've got a licence for windows.