Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Still have that BSOD Problem

• Please log in to reply

brenda4172

brenda4172

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 42 posts

Hi Brenda

1. Go into the bios & decrease the size of the AGP aperture to 32MB

2. From what I can tell from Everest, it looks like all your devices (e.g modem, network card, sound etc) are integrated into the motherboard & can't be physically removed. If this is the case for the Network card & the dialup modem, then go into the bios & disable the one you aren't using (i.e if you have broadband Internet, then disable the sailup modem. If you use standard dialup internet & have no network cable, then disable the network card

3. If neither of the above two steps make any difference to the BSODs, then temporarily disable the sound card in the bios

Let me know if any of these make a difference before we go any further

Samm

Disabling the files in the start up didn't really help with the BSOD. Also I started getting the "this computer has been locked" enter pass word by administrator. Then got another BSOD PAGE_FAULT _IN_NONPAGED_AREA . In the above thread, I did the #1 step, but couldn't figure out the #2 step. I didn't see in The BIOS where to do that?

Advertisements

brenda4172

brenda4172

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 42 posts
Hello!

Sorry I just thought you might not have gotten my last thread. i know you are BUSY people.

I just wish I could figure this out, it has been going on for a looong time, and is getting agrevating!

I read on other threads about the power supply going bad. How do you know if thats the case?
And I know I'm going to really sound dumb... but is that the power cord?

also if you could give me a clue how to do the bios thing with the network card or sound card, I'll be glad to try that. I saw where the aperture thing was but not the other.

One last thing, when this started was when I went got a lot of malware on my computer. I went through all the removal process with the malware guys, who after a long process said it all looked clean. There was one file called ipmights.exe that showed up the night the malware did. I don't know what it is. But the malware guys sent me to a site where you put in the file name and it said it was most likely a piece of malware. So they gave me directions to delete it through the killbox thing, but I have never been able to get rid of it no matter what I try. I end the process and do the killbox but after reboot it is still there. How do I get rid of it?
I realize that might not be your specialty. But that keeps bugging me :tazz:

Any hoo .... Thanks for your help and listening to my random talking...

greyknight17

greyknight17

Malware Expert

• Visiting Consultant
  • 16,560 posts
Hi there, did you have a topic for this originally? If you do, it was probably best to stick with that topic since I'm not sure what's going on or was done besides what you just posted here.

No need to use Everest if you know where to look...You see the network port and the dialup modem port in the back of your computer? Now just open up your computer and look near the back. Are those two ports built into the motherboard (that's the huge board - the biggest one :tazz:)? If so, then they are built-in. If not, they should be a card of itself.

To go into the BIOS you will have to look at the screen for something like "Setup". It will usually list a key, like F2=Setup. So hit F2 if that's the case. That will bring you to the BIOS...be careful in there as a wrong setting can really mess things up.

BSOD should not be power supply related. More like corrupted Operating System or bad memory. See if you can do a Windows repair by following the instructions on this site.

If that doesn't fix the problem, try a memory scan:

Download the Windows Memory Diagnostic Tool and install it on a blank floppy disk. Restart your computer and insert the floppy. If necessary, change your bios to boot from the floppy drive first. Let it load from the floppy and run the memory test for about 15 minutes. If no errors show up, you may exit the program and take out the floppy. If any errors were found, you have bad ram there. If there's more than one stick of ram in there, test each one out individually to find out the culprit.

For that ipmights.exe file, can you boot into Safe Mode and delete it? If not, when you did the KillBox step, did it delete it successfully? Then it came back?

brenda4172

brenda4172

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 42 posts
Sorry, maybe I did my link incorrect, but this is my original thread in this forum. If you go to page 1 you can review all the progress. And I've already did the Windows mem test by your suggestion in post # 2 . nothing shoed up. Samm had looked through my Everest report and determined that the ports were built into the motherboard, but I will look like you suggested.

I know how to get to the BIOS, I just couldn't find where to disable the sound or the network card. I saw where she told me to change the size of the aperture.

I'm not sure now, but yes I went through the killbox and said delete on reboot and it appeared to delete. or maybe it never deleted at all. Its always running in the processes. I end the process and go to where the file is (System 32) and try to delete and it won't. It says acess is denied, the file is either in use or the disk is write-protected. The I look back in the processes and its back, after I've already ended it.

I don't think I've tried to delete in Safe Mode, so I'll try that.

Thanks for your input.

greyknight17

greyknight17

Malware Expert

• Visiting Consultant
  • 16,560 posts
Don't know what happened there...

Someone PMed me that you were waiting for a reply and when I got here, all I saw was that one post you made and nothing before that...strange. I see everything now :tazz:

See if you can delete that file in Safe Mode.

brenda4172

brenda4172

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 42 posts
OK no problem... My main issue or problem is still the BSOD problems. Samm had made a suggestion on how to disable the network card or sound card in the BIOS. But, I do not see how to do that. I understand how to get into the BIOS and saw where she said to change the size of the aperture.

Again the BSOD is

I_R_Q_L is not less_than_ or_ Equal

The parameter codes sometime change
this is the most common: Stop 0X000000A(0XE1EF7B88,OX00000FF,0X00000000,0X80563DBA) sometimes the stop code is Stop 0X000000D1

Now I'm also getting the PAGE_FAULT_IN_NON_PAGED AREA
Stop 0X0000050(0X8280000,000000000,0000000000,0X822F44DC
The last parameter changes: 0x822F665C and 0x82324002

there is no method for the madness, happens in all different instances, sometimes right at start-up, sometimes after it has been on for all while, sometimes on internet, sometimes not.

Would appreciate any and all help. I don't know what happened to Samm, I guess she got tired of me.... LOL I'm tired on me too....

Oh and BTW, I was able to delete the file in safe mode, sadly it didn't help the matter!!!

Edited by brenda4172, 20 November 2005 - 02:49 PM.

greyknight17

greyknight17

Malware Expert

• Visiting Consultant
  • 16,560 posts
That error message might be related to the drivers. Did you install drivers for any new hardware lately? Right click on My Computer and go to Properties. Then go to Hardware->Device Manager and see if you spot any conflicts (you can tell by looking for any entries with yellow or exclamation marks next to them). If you spot one, reinstall the drivers for it.

brenda4172

brenda4172

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 42 posts
See Below Post # 1 No new hardware or software. Already checked the device manager... already ran Everest, Windows mem test............. nothing :)

Hey guys, I've been getting help from the experts in the Malware department. I was able to get malware free. But the night I was visited by all the spyware, viruses, malware, pop-ups etc. I also starting experiencing a computer shut down.

Buckeye Sam suggested I talk to you guys now. I have not or previously added any software or hardware. The device manager does not show any problems.
The last thing suggested was to download the program Everest Home Edition. I did that, but not exactly sure how to use it. This is what the blue screen shows
I_R_Q_L is not less_than_ or_ Equal

The parameter codes sometime change
this is the most common: Stop 0X000000A(0XE1EF7B88,OX00000FF,0X00000000,0X80563DBA) sometimes the stop code is Stop 0X000000D1

you can check out previous thread in the Malware Section

http://www.geekstogo...ndpost&p=342329

Any help you can give me would be appreciated. This has been going on since August 19th :tazz:

greyknight17

greyknight17

Malware Expert

• Visiting Consultant
  • 16,560 posts
How many sticks of memory do you have in your computer? If more than one, take all of them out except for one (leave it in). See if the BSOD comes up. If so, use the other one and repeat...any BSOD? If you only have one stick, see if you can get another spare one (make sure it's compatible type) to test it out with.

If nothing changed...still BSOD, then try disconnecting all your devices except for the bare necessities like the hard drive and RAM. Take out any PCI cards you may have. See if the BSOD comes up now. If not, then one of those devices you disconnected is causing the problem. Connect them back one by one to determine which one is the culprit.

brenda4172

brenda4172

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 42 posts
Hello.... yes it has been a year and I'm still haveing the same problems. BSOD Page Fault in non paged area . I was reading through some recent posts and noticed the below post:

http://www.geekstogo...EA-t127727.html

you suggested maybe a "rogue" driver so I looked thru my system32/drivers and found a suspicious file named emutream9. opens with unknown application. ALSOOOOO it was created on August 19, 2005 which was "D" day for my computer. This was the day I was bombarded with viruses, spyware, malware, you name it. Then came the BSOD. Got all the malware etc. cleaned up but as of today still get the BSOD

There are some other files with similar names emu... but they have a different date and open with Creative SB Live which I think? is my sound card.

You mentioned to rename the file or should I delete it.

Please... please help this is my only ray of hope in a looooong while :whistling:

Advertisements

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
If you click auto update, does it run for your card

Do you have the software CD for the soundcard?

brenda4172

brenda4172

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 42 posts
Not sure what you mean about auto update. Do you mean in the device manager, update driver?
Ihaven't tried to do that because until now (possibly) I didn't know which driver it was. And yes I do have the software. So where do I go from here? Also thanks for the reply. :whistling:

brenda4172

brenda4172

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 42 posts
Hello is any one there? I'm a very patient person. After all I 've had this problem over a year now.

Keith..... yes I have the software for the sound card... How do I proceed?

Thanks for your response and help :whistling:

Edited by brenda4172, 09 September 2006 - 04:37 PM.

brenda4172

brenda4172

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 42 posts
sorry for double post

Edited by brenda4172, 09 September 2006 - 04:42 PM.