Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

3-Com Ethernet Card

• Please log in to reply

Fenor

Fenor

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,236 posts
are you doing full formats or quick formats?

Advertisements

mcavinee

mcavinee

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts
I tryed both

mcavinee

mcavinee

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts
Maybe I shoudl find a new disk and try it. I will let you get to bed. I think I can manage from here if I can get it to download successfully. Thank you again

Fenor

Fenor

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,236 posts
And you are able to copy the file to the floppy on your desktop but the laptop can't read it right? Most likely the laptop floppy is damaged or can't read the type of floppy you are using. How many years old is the laptop?

Fenor

Fenor

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,236 posts
Hey no rush here, I'll hang around for a bit longer. Just do what you can and post in here any problems/questions that arise.

Fenor

Edited by Fenor, 01 October 2005 - 10:51 PM.

mcavinee

mcavinee

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts
I am actually working on this for a friend and it is a gateway solo 2150 and it probably is old. I ow it only has 32 megs of memory.

Fenor

Fenor

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,236 posts
Then it might not read 1.44MB diskettes. Try formatting the floppy on the desktop using the other options that isn't the '1.44MB' one. I don't have a floppy on this machine to get the exact size it says in the pull-down window.

mcavinee

mcavinee

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts
It copies from teh desktop fine and I look and find it when I click on my computer. When I transfer the floppy to the laptop it goes back to wanting to format

Fenor

Fenor

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,236 posts
format one of the floppies on the laptop, then take it out, put it in the desktop, copy the file to it, then put it back in the laptop and see if it reads it. Remember to do a full format and NOT a quick one.

Fenor

mcavinee

mcavinee

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts
The disk reads the same windows could not format the disk. In the morning I will get a new disk and try it and it it still does it I am assuming that the A drive is bad. Thanks again and good night

Advertisements

Fenor

Fenor

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,236 posts
Night, make sure to post back tomorrow how things are going and we can continue this conversation to get it working. :tazz:

Fenor

mcavinee

mcavinee

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts
Yes

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Good Morning mcavinee...

When working with most Gateway Laptops, the use of preformatted floppy disks is recommended...try a NEW formatted floppy and see how it goes.

When you go to the Device Manager, (Right click "My Computer" and choose "Properties"...under the "Hardware" tab, click "Device Manager"), are there any yellow ! or ?? If yes, right click on the questionable device and click "Properties". List the information found for the device. (do this for all devices showing a problem.)

When you get a new floppy disk, Please download Everest Home Edition, transfer the downloaded file to a floppy, put the floppy in the problem machine, install it, run it, and post a log to this thread. (you can use notepad to transfer the info to the working machine via floppy)

Also, check your settings in Control Panel / Internet Options...under the "Connections" tab, click the LAN Settings button and make sure there is a check in the box next to "Automatically detect network settings"..."Apply" any changes (if any) you made, and click "Ok".

wannabe1

Edited by wannabe1, 02 October 2005 - 09:46 AM.

Fenor

Fenor

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,236 posts
Problem, wannabe1, is that we have the driver for the 3com 10/100 NIC carbus, we just can't get the file over to the laptop because the floppy drive doesn't want to work lol. It's an old laptop and I'm thinking it just can't use the newer floppies that he has been trying.

Feor

Edited by Fenor, 02 October 2005 - 09:54 AM.

mcavinee

mcavinee

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts
Thanks for the information. I would like to look into the BIOS setup but when I press F2 like it says it just takes me to the Windows 98 screen and not into the BIOS. I thought maybe there is a setting in there that is off. This is weird. I have two laptops and the other one takes the floppy just fine. It is a older IBM Thinkpad.