Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Windows 2000 computer resets default printer

• Please log in to reply

Fenor

Fenor

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,236 posts
Hey guys,

Hope you can help me here. My dad has a computer at work that has a network printer and a local printer installed on it. What happens is when he shuts down his computer at the end of the day, the next day when he comes in and turns it on the default printer resets itself to the network printer instead of the local printer which should be, and was at shutdown, the default printer.

I already told him to try uninstalling and then reinstalling the printer through ADD NEW HARDWARE in the control panel, but he wont be able to try this until Monday when he goes back to work. What I would just like is some input on other options for him to try if that doesn't work.

Thanks a million for any tips on this! :tazz:

Fenor

Advertisements

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
Given it is a network printer, and he is on a network, do you know what kind of network....while group policy cannot set a default printer, a script can. Do you know for certain that a sysadmin has not setup a startup script to set default printers?

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
that's what i was thinking gerry, we use scriptlogic desktop authority here at work and it will do that....even if the printer no longer exists it will continually publish that printer no matter what...

Fenor

Fenor

Trusted Tech

• Topic Starter
  • Retired Staff
  • 5,236 posts

Given it is a network printer, and he is on a network, do you know what kind of network....while group policy cannot set a default printer, a script can. Do you know for certain that a sysadmin has not setup a startup script to set default printers?

View Post

Thanks for the reply! :tazz:

I installed windows 2000 on a machine at work that my work donated to my dad to use at work, so I know there are no scripts set up, plus my dad is the business administrator and basically the only person working there that knows anything about computers. He's the one who set up the network which uses a 16 port hub that connects to a 4 port router and that allows the users of the network to get on the Internet.

The only thing I could think of that is causing the problem is that I put the printer cd in and installed the drivers here at work without the printer connected to it, and I believe that we configured the network printer first when adding printers once we were on site setting the computer up.

Fenor