Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

psguard help

• Please log in to reply

Reavah

Reavah

• Pip
  • 3 posts
Hello,

My PC is infected with psguard and any help that you can offer would be greatly appreciated.

I believe that I have followed the preliminary instructions (although my computer skills aren't all that great)

Here are the logs

Panda:

Incident Status Location

Adware:adware/securityerror No disinfected C:\WINNT\SYSTEM32\ot.ico
Adware:adware/block-checker No disinfected Windows Registry

Hijackthis:

Logfile of HijackThis v1.99.1
Scan saved at 5:02:45 PM, on 10/1/2005
Platform: Windows 2000 SP4 (WinNT 5.00.2195)
MSIE: Internet Explorer v6.00 SP1 (6.00.2800.1106)

Running processes:
C:\WINNT\System32\smss.exe
C:\WINNT\system32\winlogon.exe
C:\WINNT\system32\services.exe
C:\WINNT\system32\lsass.exe
C:\WINNT\system32\svchost.exe
C:\WINNT\System32\WBEM\WinMgmt.exe
C:\WINNT\system32\userinit.exe
C:\WINNT\Explorer.EXE
C:\Documents and Settings\Administrator\Desktop\HijackThis.exe
C:\Documents and Settings\Administrator\Desktop\HijackThis.exe

R0 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Local Page =
O3 - Toolbar: @msdxmLC.dll,-1@1033,&Radio - {8E718888-423F-11D2-876E-00A0C9082467} - C:\WINNT\system32\msdxm.ocx
O3 - Toolbar: Yahoo! Companion - {EF99BD32-C1FB-11D2-892F-0090271D4F88} - C:\Program Files\Yahoo!\Companion\Installs\cpn\ycomp5_5_7_0.dll (file missing)
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Synchronization Manager] mobsync.exe /logon
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [C-Media Mixer] Mixer.exe /startup
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [MtxRtMixer] "C:\Program Files\Matrox Video Tools\mtxrtmixer.exe"
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Ulead Photo Express Calendar Checker] C:\Program Files\Ulead Systems\Ulead Photo Express My Scrapbook 2.0\calcheck.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [NovaBackup 7 Tray Control] "C:\Program Files\NovaStor\NovaBackup\NbkCtrl.exe"
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [QuickTime Task] "C:\Program Files\QuickTime\qttask.exe" -atboottime
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [MsnMsgr] "C:\Program Files\MSN Messenger\MsnMsgr.Exe" /background
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [Yahoo! Pager] C:\Program Files\Yahoo!\Messenger\ypager.exe -quiet
O4 - Global Startup: Adobe Gamma Loader.lnk = C:\Program Files\Common Files\Adobe\Calibration\Adobe Gamma Loader.exe
O16 - DPF: {9A9307A0-7DA4-4DAF-B042-5009F29E09E1} (ActiveScan Installer Class) - http://www.pandasoft...free/asinst.cab
O23 - Service: DigiCtrl - Matrox Electronic Systems - C:\WINNT\system\digisc.exe
O23 - Service: Logical Disk Manager Administrative Service (dmadmin) - VERITAS Software Corp. - C:\WINNT\System32\dmadmin.exe
O23 - Service: ewido security suite control - ewido networks - C:\Program Files\ewido\security suite\ewidoctrl.exe
O23 - Service: ewido security suite guard - ewido networks - C:\Program Files\ewido\security suite\ewidoguard.exe
O23 - Service: Ulead Burning Helper (UleadBurningHelper) - Ulead Systems, Inc. - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Ulead Systems\DVD\ULCDRSvr.exe

Ewido
---------------------------------------------------------
ewido security suite - Scan report

+ Created on: 5:38:09 PM, 10/1/2005
+ Report-Checksum: D92D2B53

+ Scan result:

HKLM\SOFTWARE\PSGuard.com -> Spyware.PSGuard : Error during cleaning
HKLM\SOFTWARE\PSGuard.com\PSGuard -> Spyware.PSGuard : Error during cleaning
HKLM\SOFTWARE\PSGuard.com\PSGuard\P.S.Guard -> Spyware.PSGuard : Error during cleaning
HKLM\SOFTWARE\PSGuard.com\PSGuard\P.S.Guard\License -> Spyware.PSGuard : Cleaned with backup

::Report End

Thank-you for taking the time to look at this and any help you can give.

Reavah.

Advertisements

infaddict

infaddict

Visiting Staff

• PipPipPip
  • 734 posts
Hi Reavah, welcome to Geeks To Go :tazz: .

My name is infaddict and I will be helping you. I will post a detailed fix once it is checked by a trusted helper.

Thank you for your patience.

infaddict

infaddict

Visiting Staff

• PipPipPip
  • 734 posts
Hi Reavah :)

Nothing too serious in your log, but it is fairly small. Was the log taken in normal mode or were you in safe-mode when you ran Hijackthis and saved the log? For future reference, Hijackthis logs should be taken in normal mode unless you are instructed otherwise.

Also, I notice you are running HijackThis from your desktop. This is fine, but please note that HijackThis will create a new folder on your desktop where it will store backups. These backups are critical if we need to restore deleted entries, so please do not delete this folder. If you prefer, you can move HijackThis to a new folder on your hard drive, such as C:\HJT.

Anyway... here we go :

Preparation

Download smitRem.exe and save the file to your desktop.
Double click on the file to extract it to it's own folder on the desktop.

Place a shortcut to Panda ActiveScan on your desktop.

Please download the trial version of Ewido Security Suite here:
http://www.ewido.net/en/download/

Please read Ewido Setup Instructions
Install it, and update the definitions to the newest files. Do NOT run a scan yet.

If you have not already installed Ad-Aware SE 1.06, follow these download and setup instructions, otherwise, check for updates:
Ad-Aware SE Setup
Don't run it yet!

The Fix

Next, please reboot your computer in SafeMode by doing the following:
  • Restart your computer
  • After hearing your computer beep once during startup, but before the Windows icon appears, press F8.
  • Instead of Windows loading as normal, a menu should appear
  • Select the first option, to run Windows in Safe Mode.
Open the smitRem folder, then double click the RunThis.bat file to start the tool. Follow the prompts on screen.
Wait for the tool to complete and disk cleanup to finish.

The tool will create a log named smitfiles.txt in the root of your drive, eg; Local Disk C: or partition where your operating system is installed. Please post that log along with all others requested in your next reply.

Open Ad-aware and do a full scan. Remove all it finds.

Run Ewido:
  • Click on scanner
  • Click on Complete System Scan and the scan will begin.
  • NOTE: During some scans with ewido it is finding cases of false positives.
  • You will need to step through the process of cleaning files one-by-one.
  • If ewido detects a file you KNOW to be legitimate, select none as the action.
  • DO NOT select "Perform action on all infections"
  • If you are unsure of any entry found select none for now.
  • When the scan is finished, click the Save report button at the bottom of the screen.
  • Save the report to your desktop
Close Ewido

Next go to Control Panel click Display > Desktop > Customize Desktop > Web > Uncheck "Security Info" if present.

Reboot back into Windows and click the Panda ActiveScan shortcut, then do a full system scan. Make sure the autoclean box is checked!
Save the scan log and post it along with a new HijackThis Log, the contents of the smitfiles.txt log and the Ewido Log by using Add Reply.

Let us know if any problems persist :tazz: .

Reavah

Reavah

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
Thank-you very much for your help, it is very much appricieted!

I follewed your instructions to the best of my ability. There were a few things that did not go as planned.
1. smitrem did not appear to create the txt. file
2. I am running win2000 and could not follow the instructions for control panel...I did not have a tab for desktop.
3. I have run Panda Active scan in the past but it would not run now. Not sure why.

Here are the logs I have.

HJT Log.

Logfile of HijackThis v1.99.1
Scan saved at 2:44:26 PM, on 10/5/2005
Platform: Windows 2000 SP4 (WinNT 5.00.2195)
MSIE: Internet Explorer v6.00 SP1 (6.00.2800.1106)

Running processes:
C:\WINNT\System32\smss.exe
C:\WINNT\system32\winlogon.exe
C:\WINNT\system32\services.exe
C:\WINNT\system32\lsass.exe
C:\WINNT\system32\spoolsv.exe
C:\WINNT\system\digisc.exe
C:\Program Files\ewido\security suite\ewidoctrl.exe
C:\WINNT\system32\regsvc.exe
C:\WINNT\system32\MSTask.exe
C:\WINNT\system32\stisvc.exe
C:\Program Files\Common Files\Ulead Systems\DVD\ULCDRSvr.exe
C:\WINNT\System32\WBEM\WinMgmt.exe
C:\WINNT\Explorer.EXE
C:\WINNT\Mixer.exe
C:\Program Files\Matrox Video Tools\mtxrtmixer.exe
C:\Program Files\Ulead Systems\Ulead Photo Express My Scrapbook 2.0\calcheck.exe
C:\Program Files\NovaStor\NovaBackup\NbkCtrl.exe
C:\PROGRA~1\NovaStor\NOVABA~1\NSENGINE.exe
C:\WINNT\explorer.exe
C:\Program Files\HJT\HijackThis.exe

R0 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Start Page = http://www.google.ca/
R0 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Local Page =
O3 - Toolbar: @msdxmLC.dll,-1@1033,&Radio - {8E718888-423F-11D2-876E-00A0C9082467} - C:\WINNT\system32\msdxm.ocx
O3 - Toolbar: Yahoo! Companion - {EF99BD32-C1FB-11D2-892F-0090271D4F88} - C:\Program Files\Yahoo!\Companion\Installs\cpn\ycomp5_5_7_0.dll (file missing)
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Synchronization Manager] mobsync.exe /logon
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [C-Media Mixer] Mixer.exe /startup
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [MtxRtMixer] "C:\Program Files\Matrox Video Tools\mtxrtmixer.exe"
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Ulead Photo Express Calendar Checker] C:\Program Files\Ulead Systems\Ulead Photo Express My Scrapbook 2.0\calcheck.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [NovaBackup 7 Tray Control] "C:\Program Files\NovaStor\NovaBackup\NbkCtrl.exe"
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [QuickTime Task] "C:\Program Files\QuickTime\qttask.exe" -atboottime
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [MsnMsgr] "C:\Program Files\MSN Messenger\MsnMsgr.Exe" /background
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [Yahoo! Pager] C:\Program Files\Yahoo!\Messenger\ypager.exe -quiet
O4 - Global Startup: Adobe Gamma Loader.lnk = C:\Program Files\Common Files\Adobe\Calibration\Adobe Gamma Loader.exe
O16 - DPF: {9A9307A0-7DA4-4DAF-B042-5009F29E09E1} (ActiveScan Installer Class) - http://www.pandasoft...free/asinst.cab
O23 - Service: DigiCtrl - Matrox Electronic Systems - C:\WINNT\system\digisc.exe
O23 - Service: Logical Disk Manager Administrative Service (dmadmin) - VERITAS Software Corp. - C:\WINNT\System32\dmadmin.exe
O23 - Service: ewido security suite control - ewido networks - C:\Program Files\ewido\security suite\ewidoctrl.exe
O23 - Service: ewido security suite guard - ewido networks - C:\Program Files\ewido\security suite\ewidoguard.exe
O23 - Service: Ulead Burning Helper (UleadBurningHelper) - Ulead Systems, Inc. - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Ulead Systems\DVD\ULCDRSvr.exe

Ewido log

ewido security suite - Scan report

+ Created on: 2:23:09 PM, 10/5/2005
+ Report-Checksum: 1B9EA6A5

+ Scan result:

No infected objects found.

::Report End

Agian thank-you very much for your help

reavah

infaddict

infaddict

Visiting Staff

• PipPipPip
  • 734 posts
Hi Reavah :)

When you double clicked on RunThis.bat, did you receive a new window with a blue background? You should have received several on screen prompts to press any key. Finally, the Windows Disk Clean-up utility should have appeared and this can take quite a while to run. Did all of this happen?

Please can you look in your root C: drive for the file smitfiles.txt. If you cannot see it, you can try searching for it as follows :
  • Click the 'Start' button
  • Select 'Search' then 'For Files or Folders'
  • In the 'Search for files or folders named :' box, type in smitfiles.txt
  • Make sure 'Look in :' is set to Local Hardrives
  • Click 'Search Options >>' to expand the search options
  • Tick the 'Advanced Options' check box
  • Tick the 'Search Subfolders' check box
  • Click 'Search Now' and see if it finds the file
  • Please paste the contents of this file into your next reply
Please re-try the Panda Activescan again to see if it works. If it does, please let me know the results in your next reply.

If the Panda scan still does not work, please an online scan with Kaspersky WebScanner

Click on Kaspersky Online Scanner

You will be promted to install an ActiveX component from Kaspersky, Click Yes.
  • The program will launch and then begin downloading the latest definition files:
  • Once the files have been downloaded click on NEXT
  • Now click on Scan Settings
  • In the scan settings make that the following are selected:
    • Scan using the following Anti-Virus database:
    Extended (if available otherwise Standard)
    • Scan Options:
    Scan Archives
    Scan Mail Bases
  • Click OK
  • Now under select a target to scan:Select My Computer
  • This will program will start and scan your system.
  • The scan will take a while so be patient and let it run.
  • Once the scan is complete it will display if your system has been infected.
    • Now click on the Save as Text button:
  • Save the file to your desktop.
  • Copy and paste that information in your next reply.
Finally, how is your system running?