Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Nvidia MX 4000 problems

• Please log in to reply

criticman

criticman

• PipPip
  • 37 posts
About a month ago I installed a new 128MB Nvidia based MX 4000 video card. It went in fine and has worked fine all the while. It still works well, in fact, I wouldn't have noticed anything was wrong, except I tried playing two games which were working a couple of days ago. Now, they start and the minute I attempt movement, I get the dreaded Microsoft memory dump blue screen followed by a need to reboot or simply a reboot.
Specifics were uncopied, there were too many of them and they're probably irrelevant anyway (memory module locations and such). It did, however, tell me that the problem involved a file named portcls.sys. This is the only file mentioned. I checked it out; it's there, not virus infested, seems legit. It came in with a service pack download from November of this year.
As I no longer us IE, Microsoft will not do a scan to tell me if I need something, so I am at a loss.
I've been obsessed with viral, spyware and adware concerns lately and have been making changes galore. I am very careful, however.
I've never had other problems.
Still, it is not out of the realm of possibility that a file was inadvertently removed.
Please give me a clue as to what's going on, if you can.
I thank you.

Advertisements

admin

admin

Founder Geek

• Community Leader
  • 24,639 posts
I would first install the latest driver: http://www.nvidia.com/page/home

What kind of video card did you have in the system before? If it wasn't nvidia, it may help to remove all traces of the old drivers:
http://www.drivercleaner.net/

criticman

criticman

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 37 posts
The latest drivers simply don't work. I use the ones contained on the CD-rom provided, which do the job. Last card was a Nvidia as well. I like their product. I tried reinstalling the drivers, then ran the game. After a false start, it worked for awhile, then I got the blue screen again. Seems like a system memory drain from something else. The game is Indian Jones and The Emperor's Tomb. It's not the newest, most involved game out there, but it's advanced. I've never had this problem before. Any ideas? Something's else is (and it has to be new) using a lot of memory, but there's nothing on here that's new. At least nothing that I put on....

criticman

criticman

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 37 posts
It's the sound card. I updated drivers and they're giving me conflicts. Plus, I think I need a new one.

Yarnouth

Yarnouth

Visiting Staff

• PipPipPip
  • 508 posts
Thanks for letting us know. :tazz: