Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

System tray problems

• Please log in to reply

Eklipse219

Eklipse219

• PipPip
  • 21 posts
ok, before you go any further, read this:
THE ICONS ARE ACTUALLY DISAPPEARING, NOT JUST "HIDING INACTIVE NOTIFICATION ICONS"

alright, here goes...a few weeks ago, the yellow shield with an exclamation point popped up in my system tray (stands for Windows Update), and stayed at "Downloading updates: 0%" ever since. The thing is, I started up my comp today and yesterday, and noticed that right away there were two icons missing: the system tray icon for Protowall and the icon for Avast Virus Recovery Database Generator (no, i did not merge the two icons). After terminating Protowall via Task Manager and restarting it, the tray icon came up fine. The VRDB icon still isn't back yet, and my Xfire icon recently disappeared as well (it's back now after "lost connection with server" reconnect, for some odd reason, but i have it set to "start minimized"...). I'm wondering if any of you could help. It's not a major problem, just somewhat annoying for some of my programs.

Thanks!

Advertisements

Michael

Michael

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 1,869 posts
Hello Eklipse219
I am sorry but this can't really be fixed because often it is just a fault in the system.
Some times it can be the program turning its self off, so if you do Ctrl+Alt+Delete when the program in the the system tray and in the process tab find the process that belongs to those programs (Google might be useful for this) when it disappears see if that possess it still running, if it has stopped there is a problem with the program.

It might be that some files have been corrupted so go
Start < Run and type sfc /scannow
This may require you Xp Cd and take about an hour. It fixes all corrupt files.

If you are saying that the yellow shield is still in the system tray and not downloading any thing go Here and download all updates.

Eklipse219

Eklipse219

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts
thx i'll try that tomorrow as soon as i find my xp cd lol...i dropped it somewhere and forgot about it

update shield went away, dunno why

but thanks anyways!

Eklipse219

Eklipse219

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts
ok found my XP cd but Windows refuses to recognize it...
"The CD you provided is the wrong CD.
Please insert the Windows XP Professional Service Pack 2 CD into your CD-ROM drive."

I have a LEGAL copy, on the package it says "Windows XP Pro English Student Media CD w/ SP2", but for some reason Windows File Protection doesn't read it as the right CD.

any ideas? Help would be greatly appreciated, some applications can't even be accessed now b/c of system tray problems...

EDIT: oops, didn't see that my mom left her DVD-RW in the drive...
:tazz:
i feel stoopid now...

Edited by Eklipse219, 15 October 2005 - 07:59 PM.

Michael

Michael

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 1,869 posts
Dose that EDIT mean you fixed it?

If not try following what this guide says on how to do a Repair Install

Eklipse219

Eklipse219

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts
ok sfc finished...
nothing happened...progress bar hit end, and then "Windows File Protection" closed itself, i think
no popup notifications or anything like that...
does that mean it's broken?

gonna try and update Windows manually now, worth a shot...

Edited by Eklipse219, 15 October 2005 - 08:28 PM.

Michael

Michael

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 1,869 posts
It might be your Anit Virus program getting it the way, if not do the repare install, in my other post.

Eklipse219

Eklipse219

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts
ok windows update won't even work...
keeps failing at the authentication tool or whatever it is...tried it four times, same result every time

it seems the icons that disappear are totally random...some days it's protowall, some days it's Avast! iVRDB, some days it's the Teatimer.exe from Spybot S&D, some days it's the Logitech Mouseware, some days it's Microsoft AntiSpyware...u get the idea...

should i try sfc w/o Avast!?

Michael

Michael

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 1,869 posts
Yes try it with Avast disabled. Hope it helps, other wise try the repair install.

Eklipse219

Eklipse219

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts
nope still nothing, turned off the real-time protection on Avast!, still nothing comes up after finishing sfc.
gonna try the repair install soon...
just wondering, a repair install won't screw over the access permissions will it? Something like that happened on my last computer, and now i can't open a bunch of the folders...