Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Backing my programs

• Please log in to reply

zenrox

zenrox

• PipPip
  • 23 posts
Hi Geeks to Go,
I am trying to back up all my files before I reformat my computer because of Altnet which doesn't seem to go away. However I have a few programs (Ahead Nero and Adobe Photoshop 7.0) which I would really like to keep on a a newly installed XP. Is there any way I can back them up and have them work after the formatting?

Advertisements

peterm

peterm

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 3,387 posts
How are you backing up
Have you tried the to repair xp
repair xp
have you had our people in malware look at your Alnet problem?
Reformat is a last ditch effort and one that most people regret

Emery Herman

Emery Herman

banned

• Banned
  • PipPip
  • 78 posts
Please go HERE . Post a Hijack this log in the malware forum and let the experts there help you with your problem.

zenrox

zenrox

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts
Hello,
My problem has nothing to do with the operating system, it works fine. I've posted a hijack this log before and tried all the steps but they're unable to help me because I cannot update to SP2. Pirated copy? Perhaps.. because this computer was given to me by someone. Anyhow in my defense I have a legit copy of XP home edition (the one running now is an XP pro) and thought I'd give this newly bought copy a swing. Maybe there is another way to fix the Altnet and virus issues without reformatting but I really doubt it.

zenrox

zenrox

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts
I've been trying to back up my computer by just burning the data onto music CD's. But I don't know how to back up programs that have been installed already.

Emery Herman

Emery Herman

banned

• Banned
  • PipPip
  • 78 posts
To backup programs go to your file manager and from program files you can look for all the files that belong to ahead nero and adobe photoshop.

OwNt

OwNt

Malware Expert

• Retired Staff
  • 7,457 posts
The programs you wish to save would all need to be re-installed, they use registry entries immensely. Unfortunately, we can't help you either because your version of windows isn't legit.

zenrox

zenrox

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts
Please do not jump to conclusions by saying I have an illegal copy. I said 'perhaps' and I am assuming it is because I cannot update.

I am taking all the help into consideration. Thank you.

How do I get to the file manager?

Edited by zenrox, 02 October 2005 - 03:14 PM.

OwNt

OwNt

Malware Expert

• Retired Staff
  • 7,457 posts
Typically, when the cd key is found to be invalid - it is usually a pirated copy. If your sure/you think it isn't, then talk to your friend and ask where he got his copy of windows from, and if he has proof it is legit, call microsoft and they will give you a new cd key.

I didn't mean to accuse you, but in cases like these we are forced to go by guilty until proven innocent.

You said you were considering reformatting, does this mean you have a guaranteed legit copy of an xp cd somewhere?

Johanna

Johanna

The Leather Lady

• 3,038 posts
Adobe Photoshop is huge: 461MB on my computer (before install)

Were these programs on your computer or do you have cds for them somewhere? If you can, install from the original cd. You can always go online and get updates later.

Clean XP install step-by-step with screenshots here:
http://www.winsupers...xp_sg_clean.asp

Johanna

Edited by Johanna, 02 October 2005 - 03:56 PM.

zenrox

zenrox

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts
Hello,
I do have a legit copy of an XP but like I said earlier, the one running now is an XP pro and the the one I have is a home edition. I understand I could ask the person but he is sort of like a friend of a friend of my dad's and I am trying to avoid that without getting into too much detail. I do not also want to falsely accuse any of these people.

I do not have CD's of these programs unfortunately. They were already installed on this computer.