Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

AC'97 installed but not working

• Please log in to reply

obryan20

obryan20

• PipPip
  • 14 posts
I have an onboard AC'97 sound card/codec installed on my computer. A short while ago, after a System restore, exclamation marks came up on "VIA AC'97 PCI Enhanced Audio Device" as well as something having to do with "PCI or Plug and Play Enumerator" (not sure of the name) and then there was no sound. [My modem also had an exclam. mark on it too.] I uninstalled the sound card driver and reinstalled it and the exclamation mark went away. But when I go to: Control Panel/Sounds and Audio Devices, it says "No audio device installed". Also, looking in Device Manager, I dont see "PCI or Plug and Play Enumerator" there. Could you please help.

Thanks in advance.

Advertisements

Emery Herman

Emery Herman

banned

• Banned
  • PipPip
  • 78 posts
Do you have another soundcard plugged into your mobo that might be causing problems? Maybe there are some old drivers stuck on your HD. Look around for old drivers on your machine and delete them.

Edited by Emery Herman, 02 October 2005 - 03:12 AM.

OwNt

OwNt

Malware Expert

• Retired Staff
  • 7,457 posts
Hello, obryan20.

Try This.

obryan20

obryan20

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts
Thanks for all your suggestions but my problem has now been resolved. I did some tinkering around until I was forced to reinstall WindowsXP over the previous version thus repairing the problem (press R when booting from WinXP setup disk).