Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Monitor Problems

• Please log in to reply

ZenithBootleg

ZenithBootleg

• Pip
  • 3 posts
I have a really bad problem with my monitor screen.
I left my computer on all night (its a HP Pavillion 7880) and when I checked it in the morning, the screen was ALL DARK AND STRIPEY!! Some of the colours look 'flourescent' and glowing, but generally its darker -- like a TV that's going to go pop!

I tried using my daughter's monitor, but that doesn't seem to make any difference.
Does this mean that I have a problem with my video card -- or could it be a virus? (I only scanned it yesterday with AVG and it didn't find anything!)

Please please help :tazz:

Phil

Advertisements

Kurt_Aust

Kurt_Aust

• PipPipPip
  • 129 posts
As it was still the same with your daughters monitor, yours is probably OK (you could try it on your daughters PC to be sure).

Try going into BIOS on bootup and see how it looks then, if it's still icky then it's almost certainly your video card, if not let us know when it first goes yuck on bootup.

ZenithBootleg

ZenithBootleg

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
Thanks for your help.

...If it IS the video card, what can I do about it? Are they repairable or do I need to buy a new one??
Are they expensive?

Kurt_Aust

Kurt_Aust

• PipPipPip
  • 129 posts
In answer to your questions:

1. Buy a new one

2. They can't be repaired, at least not for less than a new one would cost.

3. A definate that depends. Looking at the site of a company I've had good dealings with, prices range from $50 for the most basic of cards to $865 for the extreme gamer with way more dollars than sense. (Prices in $Aust, 1$A=0.75$US)

You should be able to get a card perfectly suited to most home use for under $100. But before proceeding to the step of buying a new card, first check how it looks in BIOS as mentioned above.

Thef0rce

Thef0rce

• PipPipPip
  • 380 posts
look on ebay. 128 mb cards are quite cheap and that's more than enough for internet browsing, etc.