Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Windows Sysytem Error

• Please log in to reply

prettyvacant

prettyvacant

• PipPip
  • 64 posts
Hey everyone,

I'm operating on a wireless network on my laptop. I'm hooked up to a router that I share with my desktop computer and my dad's desktop computer. So all 3 computers can go online at once. But I've noticed that everytime I turn on my laptop I get the error "A Duplicate Name Exists on the Network." I have no clue what this means. If anyone out there can tell me what it means and how I can fix it, I would GREATLY appreciate it.

Thanks,

Kevin

Advertisements

OwNt

OwNt

Malware Expert

• Retired Staff
  • 7,457 posts
Hello, prettyvacant.

It looks like your laptop is already assigned an ip address that is assigned to a different computer on your network. If it's a simple one router setup with wireless access.

Your best course would probably be to turn on your laptop, Go to Start > Run type in cmd - hit enter. In the dos box that appears type ipconfig /release Then type ipconfig /renew

If that doesn't work, then let's try this.

Turn on your laptop, let it receive the error, then turn off the cable modem. Then turn off the router. Wait 2 minutes, plug the cable modem back in, let it connect - then turn on the router.

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
It could be computers have the same name

Thef0rce

Thef0rce

• PipPipPip
  • 380 posts
yeah you just need to change the computer name. I think its control panel, system, computer name.

Emery Herman

Emery Herman

banned

• Banned
  • PipPip
  • 78 posts
Look in your network settings for names that are the same. Right click them and select '' change name''. Change the name and voila!

Fenor

Fenor

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,236 posts
I believe in Windows 98, though I could be wrong, you go to START-->SETTINGS-->CONTROL PANEL. Then double click on NETWORKS. Then in the window that appears there should be 3 tabs, If I remember correctly, the middle tab is where you change the name of the computer. Then just change the name, click APPLY and OK, then reboot your computer and the error should be gone.

Fenor

OwNt

OwNt

Malware Expert

• Retired Staff
  • 7,457 posts
Most likely it's one of 2 things, the IP - or the Name. I see this happen with a duplicate IP more, but it could be the same name to. If it isn't the ips that are the same, and you find that it's duplicate name, make sure you reboot before trying to connect to the network again.

Please post back the results.

-OwNt

Edited by OwNt, 02 October 2005 - 10:40 AM.

prettyvacant

prettyvacant

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 64 posts
It was the name that was conflicting. I had both down as "computer." Instead I put the actual type of computer each is and that fixed it right up.

Thanks guys! :tazz:

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Thank You for letting us know