Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works

Pricing up a Computer

• Please log in to reply

• PipPip
  • 57 posts
Hey, im planning to buy a new pc, and sell my current one, (including monitor), just 2 questions::

1) How can i find out EXACTLY whats in my machine?

2) When i know whats in it, how do i know how to price it all??

Peace out, M4d$k1llz :tazz:

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 327 posts
Download, install and run Everest. That wil give you everything you need plus some.

As to how much your old system is worth - if you're not sitting down, do so.

The question isn't really how much its worth, its how much can you sell it for. Depending upon the age and components, the answer might be - not much. Understand that most people are aware of Dell's, HP's, EMachine's and Compaq's advertising of $399 computers. Sure, they aren't much but the average Joe is buying a brand and doesn't know much about "whats under the hood". They also think they are going to get great service and have some excellent software pre-installed. That could put an upper limit on your machine no matter what you have (unless you were a guru which we know by your question you are not). Now to the real question - check the want ads in your local paper or go to EBay and price similar systems - thats what you can sell it for if you are lucky. Quite often that translates to a hundred bucks, maybe two but not much more. As an alternative, you may get more value if you donate it to a charity and use the donation as a tax write-off. Then you can price it close to your original purchase price.

edit: You might be better off hanging on to it. And, you definately should consider pulling any upgraded hardware that you might have installed.

Edited by Rockster2U, 02 October 2005 - 06:02 AM.