Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Need help with ME PL

• Please log in to reply

amichcpl1

amichcpl1

• PipPip
  • 20 posts
I bought a used Dell puter at garage sale. It will run on safe mode but not in normal mode. It has 128 MB of ram the rest I dont know. I need to fix some of the files. I did it on a diffrent puter before hitting deleate going to master start up but forgot how to get to the repair part. Can someone help me?

Advertisements

Guest_1069_*

Guest_1069_*
Try this first:

Use System Restore

The System Restore utility can be used to go back to a previous restore point which may restore the system to a condition prior to the problem.

To access this utility press Start-button -> Programs -> System Tools -> System Restore. ( I had to look this up - I don't use ME - assume it is correct)

Pick a date but not the oldest.

amichcpl1

amichcpl1

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts
I tried that no restore points. When I try running windows normally Blue screen comes up with....ERROR:DE:016F:BFF8E6473. when I hit enter this comes up.. Module Kernel32.Dll at 016f:bff8e64b

Emery Herman

Emery Herman

banned

• Banned
  • PipPip
  • 78 posts
What operating system is installed on the dell computer?

Emery Herman

Emery Herman

banned

• Banned
  • PipPip
  • 78 posts
Have you tried a new install of win Me in safe mode?

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Hi amichcpl1...Welcome to G2G!

Windows ME "hides" a few restore points even when the System Restore feature is disabled.

Boot into Safe Mode. Click Start then Run and type scanreg /restore (Note the space after scanreg) and click "Ok". Click "Yes" to in the Windows Registry Checker window and then choose one of the 5 dates in the next window (choose one on which the system "started") snd click "Ok".

Let us know if this gets you running in Normal Mode.

wannabe1

Edited by wannabe1, 02 October 2005 - 09:06 AM.

amichcpl1

amichcpl1

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts
Ty For the help so far going to try it now :tazz:

amichcpl1

amichcpl1

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts
Just did the 2 restore points now it comes up... MSGSRV32 has caused a error in KRNL386EXE any other suggestions will be appreated. Running on windows ME

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
amichcpl1...

Click Start then Run and type msconfig...click "Ok". Under the "Startup" tab, look in the list for an application like MSGSRV32 and uncheck the box next to it if found. "Apply" the change and exit.

Upon restart, you will get a Selective Startup dialog box, check the box in the lower left corner and click "Ok".

If the application is not found in the startup list, post back.

wannabe1

amichcpl1

amichcpl1

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts
TY the wife appreats the help U are giving me

Advertisements

amichcpl1

amichcpl1

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts
msconfig was not found Now what?

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
amichcpl1...

Don't suppose this machine came with the installation cd????

Click Start then point to Programs then to Accessories then to System Tools and click on Scan Disk. Choose to do a Thorough scan and make sure there is a tick in the box next to "Automatically fix errors". Click "Start"...this will take a while...be patient. Reboot and let me know how it went.

wannabe1

amichcpl1

amichcpl1

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts
Doing it now TY very much will keep informed

amichcpl1

amichcpl1

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts
says missing files on scan.. I am going to need disk now right?

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
amichcpl1...

The disk would certainly be helpful...that would at least give us the ability to replace the missing and corrupt files. Do you have one?

wannabe1