Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Little darlings - Laptop security.

• Please log in to reply

MissTeach

MissTeach

• Pip
  • 3 posts
Hi there :)

Would anyone be able to tell me how to secure some folders, hopefully with a password?

Here's the setup;

I have a laptop which I use at home under the username "home" and at school I let the children use it too, allowing them to just press Esc and bypass the whole username login. I use Win ME and there is no network.

I would like to keep the files and folders I work on seperate from the curious little chidlings which I thought would be possible by using a password protected username. I have just found out that they can find the files by looking in "C Windows Profiles Home".

How can I protect my files? I thought I'd find a 'Shared' tab in the folder properties but there isn't one. I tried hiding the files too, but I have some clued up students.. :tazz:

If someone knows the answer I'd be very grateful. Many thanks for your help,

Miss Teach

Advertisements

Guest_1069_*

Guest_1069_*
With many years experience of "little darlings" too, I wouldn't let them anywhere near my laptop if it had my personal files on it. They will always find a way around any protection you can put on it.

If you insist on letting them use it, there are some free security programs here:
http://www.alwaysfre...encryption.html :tazz:

Edited by 1069, 02 October 2005 - 05:51 AM.

MissTeach

MissTeach

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
Oh my goodness! I've never seen anything like those before!

Is encryption what I need to do to secure my folders? I'm a bit green when it comes to things like that. Can't you simply turn off access to areas of your harddrive? Encryption sounds terribly complicated and long winded.

Thanks for your reply 1069.

P.S. Have I posted in the correct forum?

Guest_1069_*

Guest_1069_*
Hi again,

still intent on letting the "little darlings" have access to your personal laptop :tazz:

I have just downloaded and tried this and it looks exactly what you want.
Cryptainer LE Free Encryption Software Vers 5.0.1 (from the link in my previous post)

Download and install it. If you decide to Save the file make a note of the filename and where it is being saved to.

Install the program - I didn't change the installation location - I also suggest that you select a password that your charges won't guess. You can allocate the size of the Virtual Drive created. ( Suggest min. 5Gig - depends on the size of your harddrive and how much spare room you have) It even tells you.

Once installed it creates a virtual drive - treat this like a spare hard drive. You can save to it and even drag and drop files into it.

Just one word of warning -if you uninstall the program you willl lose all saved data on the virtual drive. I therefore suggest that you backup all important files and keep them on CD or floppy.

This is a very simple program to use and looks to be exactly what you want. :)

Just one more thing - (2 actually) the password isn't activated until you have accessed the program for the 1st time AND used the "Sutdown and Exit" button.

You MUST remember to "Shutdown and Exit" each time.

Just discovered - if you delete the icon from the desktop when you shut down it disappears from the task bar too making it "invisible". It can be activated from Start > Programs.

Edited by 1069, 02 October 2005 - 01:50 PM.

MissTeach

MissTeach

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
Dear 1069

Thank you so much for your reply! I really didn't mean for anyone to go to so much trouble! Thank you for reassuring me about using unfamiliar software. I'm such a wuss.

Yes, I will still allow my cherubs at school to use my laptop. I have no computer in the classroom you see and I think the children should have opportunities in every lesson to use one. Lets see if at the spritely young age of 10 years old they can work their way around Cryptainer...

Thanks again,

Miss Teach

Guest_1069_*

Guest_1069_*
Best of luck :tazz:

Please remember to backup your files to CD / floppy.

I have also been looking at the Help facility within the program - it is well worth taking a look at - very comprehensive.