Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Large Network: 5 Routers, 1 Switch.

• Please log in to reply

twoblueeyes15

twoblueeyes15

• PipPip
  • 16 posts
Hello all.

Well, I ordered Adelphia Premium Broadband.

Yesterday they came and hooked it up to my Garage. Because my house was 800 - 1000ft away from the pole, and my garage was only 400ft away from the pole.

Knowing this would happen, I went and gathered/bought 5 routers, and 1 switch.

Here's how I set them up.

Garage. 3ft.
1. Broadband Router > Into > Belkin Wireless Router.

[Wireless Repeater Mode]
To The Garage Window. Another 50ft. (Total: 53ft)
2. Wired > Into > Buffalo Tech's AirStation g54 High Power Wireless Router.

Weather Proof Casing, With The Router In It. 125ft In My Woods. (Total: 178ft)
3. Wirelessly Repeated > Into > Buffalo Tech's AirStation g54 High Power Wireless Router.
[/Wireless Repeater Mode]

Weather Proof Casing, With The Router In It. Another 210ft In My Woods. (Total: 388ft)
4. Wired > Into > Ez 8-Port Network Mini Switch.

In My Living Room Window. Another 180ft. (Total: 568ft)
5. Wired > Into > Buffalo Tech's AirStation g54 High Power Wireless Router.

In My Basement. Another 50ft. (Total: 618ft)
6. Wired > Into > Wireless D-Link Router.

I hope you can understand my diagram.

Also, I know one of your first questions will be "why did you make your network that way?", I just made it this way, hoping for a better network signal. (ie. more routers, repeat the signal.. etc.. etc...) I CAN NOT change the equipment, and their has to be a router at EACH location stated above. I do have 1 spare wired router, and 1 spare wireless router. Just incase. ;-) (They're some what.. Old...)

So, now. How do I configure them to share broadband correctly? I'm a little bit stuck on this part. Should I turn off DHCP on all the routers except for the Belkin router? What IP's should I use for each router? Do I need static connection settings? Ip range configurations? Do I need to start the routers up in sequence? Etc... Etc...

Thank you for all of your help. :-)

Advertisements

chicagotech

chicagotech

• PipPipPip
  • 197 posts
Using DHCP or not is an issue. However, use static IP is easy to manage. I think the key is no tow router using the same IP range. I would setup the IP range like these: 192.168.1.x, 192.168.2.x and so on.

twoblueeyes15

twoblueeyes15

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts
Thank you Chicago Tech.

I guess my last question is this.

What ports do I plug into from router to router?