Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

autochk

• Please log in to reply

Fenor

Fenor

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,236 posts
ptedit can't be downloaded from here.

Fenor

Advertisements

faizal4

faizal4

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 41 posts
when do i put the floppy in when i am in recovery console or when i boot up or when do i put in floppy please give details on how to change that thing please?

faizal4

faizal4

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 41 posts
do i switsh to a: in recovery console or what

can you please give me step by step information on how to use this ptedit or hpw to change those numbers?

faizal4

faizal4

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 41 posts
and what do you mean "C:\ prompt, type DIR" on recovery console it only says c: it doesnt say C:\prompt shall i type in the prompt bit or what...?

faizal4

faizal4

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 41 posts
i changed to a: and i typed dir it showed me what was on the floppy that i put ptedit on now what shall i doo whats next step please reply soon?

Fenor

Fenor

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,236 posts
Morning faizal4!

I'm at work right now so if I don't respond right away that's why, but I will try to check back as often as I can.

As for ptedit, put this file by itself on a floppy disk. Then what you need to do is create a DOS boot disk so you can get to a command prompt and run the ptedit.exe file. To do this follow the steps on this site.

Once you have the boot disk for XP created, post back in here and I will give you further instructions.

Fenor

faizal4

faizal4

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 41 posts
done THANKS ALOT FOR ALL THIS LETS HOPE IT WORKSS!

so next step please....

faizal4

faizal4

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 41 posts
i gues its put the floppy into your pc then click a: in recovery console then i dont know?

Fenor

Fenor

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,236 posts
I would boot off the boot disks I told you to create in my last post. Then once you are down creating them, I believe it will be 6 floppies in total, put in the first disk and reboot/turn on the computer and let it boot from the floppy. It will ask you for each disk 2-6 in succession. When you get to the A: prompt, then take out the floppy that is in the drive and boot in the floppy containing ptedit.exe. Run PTEdit, and change the "partition type" from hex 0x17 to hex 0x07. After you do that, reboot your computer and see if it will boot normally.

If you have any problems and/or questions, post a reply in here, otherwise good luck and let me know how things go.

Fenor

faizal4

faizal4

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 41 posts
6 disk? i have 1 disk with ptedit and 1 disk with the msdos format thing on it so what do you mean 6 disks?

Advertisements

faizal4

faizal4

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 41 posts
and how do i make computer boot of floppy just put in floppy and turn computer on? or what?

Fenor

Fenor

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,236 posts
Yes just put the floppy in the drive and turn on your computer. It should boot automatically from the floppy, if it doesn't you will have to go into the BIOS and change the BOOT ORDER to that it boots off the floppy before the HARD DRIVE.

If you have 6 floppies that you can use I recommend you still make the 6 disk floppy disks using the link in my other post, but if you don't have 6 floppies, then just put the msdos floppy you made and try it with that, if you get to a A:\ prompt, then take out the msdos floppy and put in the floppy with ptedit.exe in it and type ptedit.exe. Then change the "partition type" from hex 0x17 to hex 0x07. After you do that, reboot your computer and see if it will boot normally.

Fenor

faizal4

faizal4

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 41 posts
it sed starting then it came to where it sed

a:/> then i type ptedit.exe it sed bad file name or command there is no a:/>prompt i dont know what to do any idea please?

faizal4

faizal4

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 41 posts
when it came to a:/> i put in the ptedit floppy and type ptedit.exe it said bad file name or command?

faizal4

faizal4

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 41 posts
maybe this will not work as i have serial ATA?