Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

windows messenger

• Please log in to reply

philstone

philstone

• PipPipPip
  • 103 posts
i followed these steps in the esy xp tweaks guide to remove windows messenger from my computer.
1. Go to "Start", the "Run"
2. Type in "RunDll32 advpack.dll,LaunchINFSection %windir%\INF\msmsgs.inf,BLC.Remove" and press enter
3. Restart and you'll never see Windows Messenger again!

Windows messenger was removed, but now my msn messenger is acting up and not receiving messages

Advertisements

Johanna

Johanna

The Leather Lady

• 3,038 posts
Because you killed it.
http://www.geekstogo...72
Johanna

Edited by Czarina, 02 October 2005 - 10:32 AM.

Thef0rce

Thef0rce

• PipPipPip
  • 380 posts
LOL with xp i like to use the add/remove windows components section in disk cleanup to disable windows messenger. then I install msn messenger and that works fine.

philstone

philstone

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 103 posts
The thread said that it wouldn't effect msn messenger just remove windows messenger for me

philstone

philstone

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 103 posts
The thread said that it wouldn't effect msn messenger just remove windows messenger for me

Michael

Michael

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 1,869 posts
It dose not effect MSN messenger in any of my tests. Installing MSN again, which is a very simple thing to do should fix the problem, if you need help doing so just ask. I am sorry that it effected your computer. I did not write that tweak, it was in the original Easy XP Tweaks, you are the first to report any problems with it, again sorry for what it has done.

philstone

philstone

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 103 posts
no problem i re-installed msn and it is working fine