Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Persistant adware that wont go away

• Please log in to reply

rob_jewitt

rob_jewitt

• PipPip
  • 24 posts
Hi there,

I've been noticing a sever drop off in interent performance recently. My 1meg cable connection is averaging 200 kbps when I check it with speed test. Also, my modem registers activity even when in safe mode (which I'm pretty sure it shouldn't be doing).

Now I've ran adaware, ms antispyware, cleanup! and spybot 1.4 which give me the odd bit of useful inof. Adaware cleans up the negligble cookies but Spybot repeatedly tells me that I have the following threats:

avenueA inc
hitbox
Advertising.com
webtrendslive

They all seem to be connecting themselves to Firefox

These appear after having ran spybot in safe mode with modem off (shows no infection) then running it in normal mode with the modem turned on. Whenever I remove them and reboot they reappear

How can I get rid of them? I think that they must have something to do with my poor net speed.

This might be connected to the above problem, but when I start up I get a security warning (the red windows shield) saying that my internet security is disabled and I am at risk. Then, a few seconds later, Norton 2005 kicks in. This doesn't seem right to me.

I'd appreciate any advice.

Advertisements