Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Windows Media Player cannot play the file

• Please log in to reply

ross_s_cfc

ross_s_cfc

• PipPip
  • 31 posts
Windows Media Player cannot play the file because there is a problem with your sound device. There might not be a sound device installed on your computer, it might be in use by another program, or it might not be functioning properly.

i go to my device manager and the problem is with Vinyl AC'97 Codec combo Driver (WDM) information available on this in properties is

This device cannot start. (Code 10)

Click Troubleshoot to start the troubleshooter for this device.

I go to trouble shoot and any pointers on there are useless i have unistalled it , re-instaled it tried everything ...... the thing is i dropped my laptop on the floor from about 2 feet high the screen went blank i managed to get the laptop to re-start and wen i put it back on and tried to listen to some mp'3s this is when the problem has arisen ... every other aspect apart from the sound driver is working fine i dnt know if dropping had anything to do with this but i would imagine its a bit of a coincidence :tazz:

Advertisements

Fenor

Fenor

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,236 posts
Hi ross_s_cfc!

Unfortunately when the laptop dropped it might have damaged the audio card on your laptop :tazz: but lets try a few things first before we jump off the cliff with that idea...

To determine what hardware you have (motherboard, modem, network card, etc) download Everest Home Edition HERE. It will tell you all you need to know about your computer. Install Everest and run it then attach a copy of the log to this thread and we can help you straighten things out.

Fenor

ross_s_cfc

ross_s_cfc

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 31 posts
i think there was a problem with the link

Fenor

Fenor

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,236 posts
Sorry about that, you can download it HERE Download the HOME EDITION.

Fenor

ross_s_cfc

ross_s_cfc

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 31 posts
here's the report hope its usefull :) :tazz: thanks for your help

Attached Files

ross_s_cfc

ross_s_cfc

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 31 posts
was that report no use ? how much is it going to cost me to replace my sound card if it is damged

ross_s_cfc

ross_s_cfc

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 31 posts
ok it seems that poast hasnt been read now ... maybe its just my luck :tazz: well i see member obryan20 was having a similar problem with their driver so i followed advice given to them

Instructions
Download the WDM_A376a.exe file below to a temporary location on your computer's hard drive.

Run the downloaded WDM_A376a.exe program to begin the installation.

Click Next.

If you get a message stating:
"The software you are installing has not passed Windows Logo testing to verify its compatibility with Windows XP",
click on "Continue Anyway."

Finally, select to restart the system and press Finish to complete the installation.

The system will reload the drivers and do some adjustments in the INF file if so required.

now my files will play in windows media player but it appears i have no volume control what do i do now :S

Emery Herman

Emery Herman

banned

• Banned
  • PipPip
  • 78 posts
I think your sound card didn't survive the 2 feet drop. Have you tried playing music files in other programs?

ross_s_cfc

ross_s_cfc

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 31 posts
yeah to no avail :) think it looks like ma sound card needs replaced anyone any tips on what to do from here i live in the uk btw :tazz:

Emery Herman

Emery Herman

banned

• Banned
  • PipPip
  • 78 posts
You said you live in the UK. Here is a website that might be able to help you:

http://uk.nextag.com...z0--search-html

Missclearwater

Missclearwater

• Pip
  • 1 posts
I was just reading this thread, and its exactly the same problem I have with my computer.
I bought my computer brand new the other day and its wonderful except when I go to play my music files on it, I get the following error message...

Windows Media Player cannot play the file because there is a problem with your sound device. There might not be a sound device installed on your computer, it might be in use by another program, or it might not be functioning properly.

I've got no idea what's wrong, I'm thinking perhaps I don't have a sound card on here... in which case I'll be having some very firm words with the guy that sold this computer to me. :tazz: But on my old computer I could play music files fine. I have a brilliant set of speakers and I'm really confused about what's wrong.

I know that the type of driver that I needed to install was the SoundMAX Audio driver (part of ASUS) and that my speakers are by the brand Creative. However, the driver wouldn't install properly and at the moment I'm pretty sure I have a Legacy audio driver installed (because I figured I may as well try to install a different type of driver if the "proper" one wouldn't work). I can't go to microsoft to see what the problem is, however, because it thinks I'm using pirated software.

I ran one of those everest scans on my computer (I'll attatch the report here so you guys can see...)

Can anyone tell me what's wrong?

-Jessica Clearwater

Attached Files

Edited by Missclearwater, 17 October 2005 - 04:35 AM.

ross_s_cfc

ross_s_cfc

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 31 posts
Have you tried updating your driver in device manager ? if not to do so go to controll panel - performance and maintainance - system - hardware - device manager then scroll down to your sound drivers and there may be one thats highlighted with a yellow exclamation and question mark .. right click and update driver :tazz: