Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Wireless Access Points

• Please log in to reply

Wildcater

Wildcater

• Pip
  • 2 posts
I have a wireless G router by Linksys. Signal strength is not enough to get complete coverage in my office building. I need to add an Access Point. I was told that I can use another G router and if I turn it on AP only, it will work just like a true access point. Is this true? I'm going to be adding 2 wireless print servers at the same time and need to make sure that I am buying the correct equipment.

Advertisements

Indiana Red

Indiana Red

• PipPip
  • 10 posts
Well, I consider myself a rookie but you are describing something similar to what I just experienced. My Linksys WAP11 (b) says in the config screen taht if yo uare using other Linksys wireless devices you can set the AP mode to bridge and it is basically a dumb pass-through device like a hub.
See my post a few minago in this forum on my situation. Not exactly your situation, just my litle hard knock experiance.

Oniketsoku

Oniketsoku

• PipPipPip
  • 340 posts
What model are the Adapters? And what model is the router?

Don't do this until after you have told me what model the router is

(check the box that the router came in, or you can check on the bottom of the router)
(Example:WRT54G)
Please log onto the router's configuration page. (The computer wired to the router)
The default is http://192.168.1.1/
Leave username blank and type admin for the password. (That is the default, use the name of your SSID for the username, and the password you made it[if you changed it]{the default SSID should be linksys})
You should see a status tab on the right.. It should say firmware version near/at the top followed by vxx.xx(x representing numbers/letters) Tell me what that says.
If you cant do that, then just tell me what model the card(s) and router are.

How far away is the router from the access point(s)?
Are All the computers running on WinXP, or the same operating system?
Is your network set up as AdHoc or infrastructure?

Please tell me these things, and I may be able to help you. :tazz:

~Oni

Edited by Oniketsoku, 28 October 2005 - 01:57 PM.