Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Help upgrading RAM

• Please log in to reply

pedrossi

pedrossi

• PipPip
  • 57 posts
:tazz:
After a few hours of searching Google (and coming up with a lot of useless information), I decided to come here and ask my question:

"Can HP machines handle high-density memory?"

The reason I ask this is because I have an HP Pavilion a410y computer, and after going to www.crucial.com, they say that based on my system specs, the following 1GB chip should work for me:

DDR PC2700 • CL=2.5 • UNBUFFERED • NON-ECC • DDR333 • 2.5V • 128Meg x 64

I searched eBay for that kind of chip, and the following auction has it:

http://cgi.ebay.com/...1QQcmdZViewItem

But at the bottom, they say that HP machines can't run high-density ram, so I need to buy the much more expensive low-density ram they sell.

However, the Crucial website (They call themselves the "Memory Experts") doesn't even MENTION memory density on their website! Do a search for "density" and it won't even come up on their whole website.

So, before I ignore the ebay seller's warning, I thought I'd run it by you guys and see what you all thought. Should I buy that one or should I get a low-density memory chip?

Thanks!

EDIT: Here's the crucial site that tells me my memory needs http://www.crucial.c...N=CT367117#info

Edited by pedrossi, 02 October 2005 - 08:05 PM.

Advertisements

njustice

njustice

• PipPipPip
  • 521 posts

"Can HP machines handle high-density memory?"

Apparently your model cannot use the higher density memory. Go with what crucial recommends or you may have problems.

pedrossi

pedrossi

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 57 posts
Wait, but isn't the memory Crucial recommends a high-density memory?
The one on the ebay auction seems to be exactly like it, but correct me if I'm wrong :-\

Thanks!

Edited by pedrossi, 03 October 2005 - 07:00 PM.

pedrossi

pedrossi

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 57 posts
I searched the Crucial site again and it doesn't mention whether it's high or low density... :-|

Fenor

Fenor

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,236 posts
128Mx64 means high density while 64Mx8 means low density and as such the crucial ram displayed in the link you supplied is HIGH DENSITY, which is exactly like the ram you found on eBay. HP's are very picky about the type of ram they will work with, so it's up to you whether you want to buy it over the net from eBay or go to a computer store and buy it there, at least then you can have them put it in and if it doesn't work with your machine, then you don't have to purchase it.

Fenor

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
Buy the Crucial memory from Crucial.

Because then they warrant that the stick you buy from them will work in your HP machine and if it doesn't, they'll take it back and replace it.

You won't get that on eBay.