Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

quick reboot

• Please log in to reply

fay47

fay47

• PipPip
  • 72 posts
I am taking a free online class that gives instructions on how to edit the registry - for win xp pro.

One of the tips was how to enable quick reboot by editing the registry and then using Shift+Ctrl+Alt+ Delete. It is suppose to do a quick reboot without waiting on cleaning up the running processes. The registry key it says to edit is :
HKLM\SOFTWARE\MICROSOFT\WINDOWS NT\CurrentVersion\Winlogon
it says to edit or add a value for EnableQuickReboot - string value of 1.

I have done it and it doesn't appear to work - (I have rebooted - several times since it was done a few days ago) - When I press Shift_ctrl_alt_delete nothing happens. Several other people have also posted messages to the class message board that it didn't work for them, but so far no one has said they have go it to work.

Does anyone know anythng about this. Should it work?

Fay

Advertisements

Michael

Michael

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 1,869 posts
Hello fay47
I don't see how that would help it shut down quicker, I would not do it because you said

It is suppose to do a quick reboot without waiting on cleaning up the running processes.

sound like something that could get things corrupted.
This will make you computer start, shut down and run faster.

fay47

fay47

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 72 posts
I was only wanting to do it as part of the online class I am taking. I doubt that I would end up using it, but it was one of the "tweaks" the class gave -as somthing that could be used when the computer crashes or locks up. I was just wondering if anyone knew if it should work. Several have posted to the class message board that they could not get it to work. The instructor said it was not one of her tips - and she could not answer why it didn't work.

Guess I'll just forget about it. Since I was taking the class just wanted to see if I could get it to work.

Thanks, Fay

Michael

Michael

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 1,869 posts
What is the web page of these online classes I what to have a look at them.

That would be the last thing I would do to a system that is in troble.

fay47

fay47

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 72 posts
I do not think they are necessarily suggesting it - it is just give as an example of things that can be done.

It is is a free online class offered by HP - you have to sign for the class to be able to see the lesson - but it is free.

Go to www.hplearningcenter.com. Expand the Software and Technology section. The course I am currently taking is: Windows Xp advanced customization. The lesson I am working on is Lesson 5 - Tweaks for maximum performance.

Fay

Johanna

Johanna

The Leather Lady

• 3,038 posts
I made a quicklaunch "Kill" icon:
%windir%\System32\shutdown.exe -s -t 0
One click and the system is down. This is for emergencies, not regular use. BTW, here is my restart path:
%windir%\System32\shutdown.exe -r -t 0

Johanna

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
the only reason i could think of having your machine reboot without waiting on terminating the process.....is if the kill process is the one that's locked...which i have never seen......

Johanna

Johanna

The Leather Lady

• 3,038 posts
One reason for a kill switch is flaky hardware. You are right- XP handles "end task" quite a bit better than previous versions of Windows, but if your temps spike, a kill switch is convenient.

Johanna

fay47

fay47

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 72 posts
Michael,

I see you found the HP classes. I just signed up for the Become a Microsoft Windows XP power user course, and saw your post there. That is not the class where the quick reboot tweak was given - it was given in the Windows XP Advanced customization class - the last lesson for it has just posted. The lessons will still be thre until Oct 28 - but not sure if enrollment is still open or not.

Fay

Michael

Michael

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 1,869 posts
I signed up for both to test them out.